Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am having a problem booting from a live CD and USB dives....Im trying to run Puppy linux from a flash drive, but it wont boot on my desktop computer. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Booting probs with multiple distros...

I am having a problem booting from a live CD and USB dives....Im trying to run Puppy linux from a flash drive, but it wont boot on my desktop computer. Ive tried the latest knoppix, Puppy 2.14,2.15,2.16, all live CDs, and both just refuse to boot. Knoppix will get all the way to "searching for Knoppix in drive C:" and thats it. Puppy quits when it disables IRQ #11 or 17 and locks up. From the flash drive, all I get is Boot Error. Knoppix and Puppy 2.14 will boot on a laptop so I know the disks work. Ive read something about Smart Boot Manager.iso but I cant find it to even try it. Is this a prob within my Bios? I wouldbe really happy just to get something running.....
    Im running:
    P4 2.4 GHz 1.75 Gb ram desktop

Help!

Linux Newbie

Wow

I have never seem a question like this go unanswered for so long in these forums!

Okay, I am not a grat Linux technician, but I might be able to help.

To clarify, are you not able to boot ANY live CD/DVD at all, or do they fail out?

When you boot USB, does your computer simply boot directly into the OS installed on your hard drive?

Does your computer boot into your chosen OS normally?

If the system simply doesn't recognize your USB or CD/DVD, then your issue is most probably BIOS. It could be that your USB controller and optical drive controllers are not working. Is your optical device IDE or SATA?

If you can boot into the CD/DVD and the boot simply hangs, try a different distro. I have found that on my hardware, Ubuntu and Debian based OSes (except Knoppix) won't work. There is some conflict I have not discovered.
    Ubuntu and Debian based distros tend to get stuck at backgrounding during DHCPDiscover, or if they boot, they run so slowly that it takes me ten seconds to move the mouse from one seide of the screen to the other. Once I disable my wireless LAN, they speed up to normal.

The point is that I have to use other distros. Puppy 2.13 and up work beautifully on my machine, and Knoppix 5.1.1 finally booted up, but wireless simply won't work like it did in 4.0.

Try PCLinuxOS2007 (my current favorite) and try Ubuntu (or Kubuntu if you prefer KDE to Gnome, like me) and try Xandros. You may want to try MAndriva, because its a good one too. Mandriva installs nicely on a USB thumb drive, I hear.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burton View Post
    I am having a problem booting from a live CD and USB dives....Im trying to run Puppy linux from a flash drive, but it wont boot on my desktop computer. Ive tried the latest knoppix, Puppy 2.14,2.15,2.16, all live CDs, and both just refuse to boot. Knoppix will get all the way to "searching for Knoppix in drive C:" and thats it. Puppy quits when it disables IRQ #11 or 17 and locks up. From the flash drive, all I get is Boot Error. Knoppix and Puppy 2.14 will boot on a laptop so I know the disks work. Ive read something about Smart Boot Manager.iso but I cant find it to even try it. Is this a prob within my Bios? I wouldbe really happy just to get something running.....
    Im running:

Help!
    if it's a problem with irq this may be helping you
    when you are In GRUB Menu press 'e'and now select 'kernel' line which you want and press 'e' again. now add irqpoll at the end of line and hit 'Enter' key

now press 'b' to boot that kernel
    life is the greatest opportunity that the nature had given you

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burton
    Im running:
    Which Graphics Card do you have? Does your Machine's BIOS support booting up from External Device?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First