Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm using backtrack live cd and I'm having problems sending email. I know I have to configure smtp and pop3 but I can't figure it out. I'm writing a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

sendmail, mail, smtp

Hi, I'm using backtrack live cd and I'm having problems sending email. I know I have to configure smtp and pop3 but I can't figure it out. I'm writing a script to ping my router and if it doesn't respond it will send me an e-mail notification. I have the script working but when I do echo "Network is Down" | mail -s "subject" me@bla.com I get an error bash--mail not found
    can anyone help me I can't get this thing to work.

Thanks

Linux User
    You cannot do anything without configuration. Which mail server you have? You need to have configured an email account in it for being able to send email. I recommend Gmail as it offers free POP access. You need to use the following settings to configure your Gmail account.

Email: yourname@gmail.com
    Incoming mail server: POP3 (pop.gmail.com), Port: 995 Authentication: SSL
    Outgoing mail server: SMTP (smtp.gmail.com) Port: 587 Authentication: TLS

SMTP Username: yourname@gmail.com
    POP username: yourname@gmail.com

Just Joined!

smtp and pop

Hello, thanks for your answer. My problem is that I dont find the file I have to modify with my smtp and pop settings. I already have an account that I could use but I don't find the conf file to vi to. I'm using backtrack 2. If I get this to work the "sendmail" command should work?

Thanks again!
    Chen

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close