Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi, ive recently installed damn small linux on a computer and im quite pleased with it, even if its new to me, lol, stupid windows in breeding lol onto the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Damn Small Linux HLDS Installation Problem

hi, ive recently installed damn small linux on a computer and im quite pleased with it, even if its new to me, lol, stupid windows in breeding lol

onto the problem, im trying to install a half life server
    ive been following this guide "http://www.cstrike-planet.com/tutorial/1-Linux-Install-CS-16/6"

but when i get to a certain point, there would be an error that says
    "failed to write 65536 bytes in ReadFileFromServer"

what might be the problem and solutions i can use to solve it?

thanks in advance,
    r4itei

Just Joined!
    Hello r4itei,

You say you have a install of DSL. Which type of install did you do? A debian type, Frugal or a CD image? This would very much effect the way software is installed on said system.

Why have you choosen DSL to install this package on?

There is a couple of issues using Live CDs for HD installs. Most of them do a great job of converting the system over to a standard type system. Meaning Live CD enviorments use a loop method of making the files in the system writable since a CD is not normally writable. Some Linux live CDs install to the HD and leave freaky bits and peices of that enviorment beyond, others do quit well at converting the system over during the HD install.

DSL has several ways to HD install each is quit different in this matter. I did see on the web site you linked there mentions that for some of the steps you need root pervileges. To become root in DSL you need to do sudo command followed by the command you want to issue.

Just Joined!
    hello muskrat, thanks for the reply, ive been waiting a while for a reply lol

i had done a frugal grub install, i had chosen dsl because i wanted to try linux and since i knew nothing about it i wasnt really confident about doing a good job, and since we had an old p2 computer lying around, i figured id make something of my summer and learn linux, and dsl apparently runs fast on old computers, and i agree, compared to windows 98

however, there is a problem with it now, whenever i try to boot, it would say grub error 15

ive tried fixing it by redoing the install steps in the dsl forums, using grub, but that hasnt worked, i tried frugal lilo as well since it stood for linux loader, i figured itd work but to know avail, im about to try a regular hard drive install. its quite frustrating but im determined to learn it

i also tried to fix error 15 using this guide "http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/grub-error-guide.xml" but nothing so far as well, im installing from a live cd i burnt, it worked, the install i mean. i took out 98 and shoved it on, it was good, but then that error happened, so i dunno what else to do

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    My advice is stay with Grub, (That's just my advice there are LiLo fanatics out here that would say different.) I say because Grub is an OS unto it's self and uses a human readable file which when screwed up can be edited with a Live CD session.

Grub also has a great Manual at: GNU GRUB Manual 0.97

Which has a listings of error messages.Error 15 is listed as;
    15 : File not found
    This error is returned if the specified file name cannot be found, but everything else (like the disk/partition info) is OK.
    Which probably means ether the partion table is srcewed up or that human readable file has a bad path in it. That file is found at /boot/grub/menu.lst . Grub uses it's own addresses, like C: is /dev/hda1 in linux, in grub it's (hd0,0). That manual is quite clear and would be a great investment of your time to read it.

Once you really understand Grub I don't believe you'll ever go back to LiLo. Grub is the new boy on the Block, so expect a lot of old timers to disaggree with me, But there are things you can do with grub which LiLo can't do.

Ok, on to anther issue, DSL is a great OS, and the developers/supporters really push the frugal install, it also runs quite will on old tired PCs. But a PII isn't that old or small for most Linux distros will run fine on it most new distros will run better than 98 ever did on it.

But if I were you I'd ether do a CD image install or a debian install, because the frugal has a lot of extra stuff to learn for a linux newbee. The CD image can be installed on top of any partation, that is being used for other purposes. That's why I use it.

Debian is a great OS for newbees, they have a great community that will help and support, a lot more than DSL. DSL has a relation to debian, so in using Debian, later you can apply that knowledge to DSL. They also have split thier CD1 into three disks, (you just need one though) One has Gnome as the desktop, that's the default. The other two have KDE and XFCE. XFCE is a light weight desktop for lowend hardware, or resource conservitive people.

Then after the debian install you can boot up your DSL using the "DSL tohd=/dev/hda?" option. (replace the ? with your partition number) You can use the same partion You installed Debian on or your Windows Part, Or your Home partion what ever you want. Then copy the isolinux folder off the CD into your debian /boot folder.

After which you just edit your /boot/grub/menu.lst to include this stanza;
    title DSL CD Image on HD
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/isolinux/linux root=/dev/hda2 ro dsl fromhd=/dev/hda2 restore=hda7 lang=us
    initrd /boot/isolinux/minirt.gz
    And you should be able to boot into both Debian and a live CD session of DSL from Your HD. I have it running on several of my Boxes this way.

The official Debian web site is at Debian -- The Universal Operating System the CD install disk images are on mirrors there is a list of them here. Downloading Debian CD/DVD images via HTTP/FTP Now don't panic! There are 14 or so disks but you only need the first disk to install.

The Gotch yau, is the CD1 at the top of the list is Gnome desktop, and the other two CD1s are at the bottom of the list, due to the naming conventions and alphabet.
    debian-40r0-i386-CD-1.iso = desktop Gnome (much like old mac look and feel)
    debian-40r0-i386-kde-CD-1.iso = desktop KDE (much like windows look and feel)
    debian-40r0-i386-xfce-CD-1.iso =(XFCE a lightweight desktop, low resource consumsion)
    All three of these disk are exactly the same except the default desktop.

Just get yourself one of these and install in debian, it'll get what it needs of the rest of the 13 CDs as it installs, and not all the extra stuff you don't need.

I hope this helps, if not Just come back and I'll see what I can do. Sorry it took so long to get an answer. But I don't come over to this board much. But this thread will email me when ever you post here. Also Debian Has thier own official board, I spend a lot of time over there.

Good Luck!

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the reply, im glad theres like people who knows what theyre saying in answers, you seem to know, lol, well youll be glad to know i got linux working, i did a hard drive install. do you know a site that would explain the difference between LILO and GRUB? In terms that can easily be understood. Im not stupid but just kinda new to the world of linux, haha. i tried to google the difference, i didnt really find a site the explained it to me in a way i understood.

ohh, and i got my little counterstrike server up and running, haha i tried it and i was so ecstatic, i was like F*** YEAH! and i learned how to mount and copy off of my USB, turns out a very useful thing to know in CLI is the Absolute Pathname.

but aside from that, frugal grub vs frugal lilo vs hard drive, explanation website wud be nice.

and yeah, i read that debian redhat and a bunch of other things are better for noobs, with GUIs and what not, if i wanted GUIs id just go use win98 LOL i also went to a book store the other day, chapters indigo, and read a book on linux, some guy heard me ask the lady that works there and he was telling me about how zUbuntu was the ****, but since i have dsl installed already, i might try it on a DIFFERENT computry.

im thinking about installing this debian thing since DSL is somewhat based on debian, or so i read, ill probably try it.

now im trying to get my Cstrike server to be available from the other end of my router and try to store a website in it to open up in my CS game, lol, hopefully i can get it working, but perhaps you can help me, i keep getting this error, something about a UDP open socket, perhaps i opened the wrong ports, one website says that i might have a firewall on thats preventing it, does DSL have its own "DSL Firewall" like program?

Just Joined!
    now im trying to get my Cstrike server to be available from the other end of my router and try to store a website in it to open up in my CS game, lol, hopefully i can get it working, but perhaps you can help me, i keep getting this error, something about a UDP open socket, perhaps i opened the wrong ports, one website says that i might have a firewall on thats preventing it, does DSL have its own "DSL Firewall" like program?
    I'm not a programer, I'm just a PC repairman. I really don't do much networking so that's not my strong suit. Nor do I do Games. So sorry I can't help much with that. As for Firewalls, Most firewall software in Liniux is just a GUI front end for IPtables, which is complied into the Kernel and has a human readable/editable file, which controls all the packets in and out of your box. You could look into IP Tables with Linux on Google.

do you know a site that would explain the difference between LILO and GRUB? In terms that can easily be understood. Im not stupid but just kinda new to the world of linux, haha. i tried to google the difference, i didnt really find a site the explained it to me in a way i understood.
    I don't know of any site, but let me see if I can explain it in short. LiLo is a boot loader that requires the the package LiLo to reinstall the MBR everytime you wish to make changes to the system, ie a new install on an extra partition. Where as Grub uses a human readable/editable file, which you can edit at anytime and just reboot the same install of grub will then have your changes.

Basicly, Lilo is a boot loader and nothing more. Gurb is a install of a mini OS on the MBR, it will except commands at the boot promt. or from a shell. If you like you can enter into a grub shell using the terminal by becoming root frist, via su then password and enter. Then type grub and enter Your Linux promt should change to a grub promt that looks like "grub>" after which you are running in a grub session, the mini OS which has all it's own commands. It even has it's own exit command which is "quit", then you'll be back to a linux promt.

Those are the differences I know of and that make a difference to me.

but aside from that, frugal grub vs frugal lilo vs hard drive, explanation website wud be nice.
    OK one thing you need to understand is frugal is a DSL trim for a method of installing DSL it has nothing to do with Grub or LILO. They just give you the choice of which boot loader to use. The difference between DSL frugal and DSL debian type. Is that frugal still uses a lot of the loopback file system which is required for a Live CD session. Debian type tries to change the system back to a standard Linux debian system, but fails to do so completely that's why the maintainers push the frugal install as an HD install because the system still preforms to it's peak.

I personaly use a hack that came from Knoppix call "tohd=" which gives me a true LiveCD session on my HD. It's not really an install at all. It's sort of like copying the cd to the HD. But the Distro does it for you.

and yeah, i read that debian redhat and a bunch of other things are better for noobs, with GUIs and what not, if i wanted GUIs id just go use win98 LOL i also went to a book store the other day, chapters indigo, and read a book on linux, some guy heard me ask the lady that works there and he was telling me about how zUbuntu was the ****, but since i have dsl installed already, i might try it on a DIFFERENT computry.

im thinking about installing this debian thing since DSL is somewhat based on debian, or so i read, ill probably try it.
    If your not afraid of the command line, Your miles ahead of most Newbees. My advice is back up, install Debian onto you PC, then You can do a "tohd" using the same partition and grub that debian has installed, but you can't do that in reverse. DSL frist and then Debian, using the same partition, and grub won't work.

As for Zubuntu, never heard of it, although I've heard of Xubuntu, Kubuntu and several others. All of which are the same except for different packages installed by default. Also Ubuntu is debian based also. But I personaly didn't/don't like it. I do like DSL and use it. But I use it for what it's intended for a Live CD inviorment.

Live CD's are a great thing for a portable OS, taking your distro and booting all the PCs that cross your path, having each PC become your personal PC. But Live CD HD installs really don't cut it. You'll allways have quircks to deal with.

Just Joined!
    muskrat, thanks for all the info, i got my counterstrike server up and running, heh.

and DSL is a very good distro, im quite pleased with it, so far i havent gotten any problems with the debian install, heh im totally gonna donate to the DSL guys when i get cash

thanks alot, perhaps some day i can return the favor and help you out with a problem of your own.