Creating a distro...........sort of
Well I've just discovered my problem, but first a little background information:
1. i downloaded ubuntu 6.10, all worked great - kernel 2.6.17
2. i downloaded ubuntu 7.04, i could not install it - kernel 2.6.20
3. i downloaded ubuntu 7.10(testing), and had the same problem as with 7.04 - kernel 2.6.22
4. i downloaded mandriva 2007, all worked great - kernel 2.6.17
5. i downloaded mandriva 2007.1, all worked great - kernel 2.6.17
I now realise, after some research on forums and distrowatch.com, that all the distros i find impossible to install have the linux kernel 2.6.20. And all the versions i have no problem with have the linux kernel 2.6.17.
Now that i know its something to do with the kernel version i was wondering if its possible to download ubuntu 7.10 (gutsy gibbon testing) and, before i burn it to a dvd, take out the kernel and replace it with a 2.6.17, the one that works for me. Is this possible to do without having studied 4yrs of computer science?
I've heard about LFS (linux from scratch), can i do what i want with this program?
And if this is possible, i assume anything is possible with enough work, will it all be stable enough and easy enough for me - a relative beginner to linux - to do so?
P.S. please don't ask me about why the kernel 2.6.20 doesn't work, I've already tried a million and one "solutions" and none of them work for me.
edit: if this is the wrong board (i think it is), please someone move it for me. sorry