GNUtar reading SGI IRIX tar??
Hello, I have a SUSE 10 system (of course, tar is installed) and I am trying to do data recovery from some old tape drive for a local machine shop. Their tapes were written with an SGI Personal Iris (running some version of IRIX). From what I have read, SGI's tar is a bit different than GNUtar, and I am not able to read the archives on these tapes. Tar just says 'this doesn't appear to be a tar archive' and that the files 'use obsolescent base-64 headers'. Is there any way that I will be able to extract these archives? I tried using 'dd' but 80% of the tapes fail out with I/O errors, while the other 20% dumps a single binary file, and I have no idea what to use to split the file into the original files that were backed up. PLEASE HELP!!