Linux Kernel 2.6.12 on ARM 9 Board - for S3C2440 microcontroller
My name is "USMAN" and I am from KHI, PAKISTAN. I am currently working as a "research and developer engineer - senior software engineer for embedded systems ( real time computing) in LINUX environment".
Guys, this is my first post to this forum; therefore I can foresee and expect that any mistake ,technical or non-technical will be specifically ignored and understood. :)
Currently I am working on embedded Linux 2.6.12 on an ARM 9 board , which is using a S3C2440 micro controller.
There are a few queries and specific ambiguities/anomalies that I would want to discuss and state here.
1. Using FTP, whenever we are trying to move, copy or transport any file remotely from our own WINDOWS PC terminal machine to the ARM 9 board and if that file is already existent on the ARM 9 board, then it is not over-written or replaced, but an another copy of that file having same name, all the same attributes etc is created. And when we delete any one of the files ( the FTP one or the already existent/copy one); both of the files are then deleted.
Is this issue related to the file system of Linux on ARM board? Or the compatibility issue of ARM board with Windows file system?
Or we need to delete the old file, before copying a new one?
2. We need to re spawn/restart/fork our application process whenever it crashes or abnormally terminates using an automated method. I think the best way would be to use "/etc/inittab file". How do we create this file in ARM 9 Linux environment? Can you please list the steps to create it and where do we have to put this file then? Meaning in /etc/ folder or putting it some init-scripts like rcS, rc.touch or rc.mouse?
3. Whenever we are executing the following piece of code in our application:
,there are zombie processes for "mplayer" utility being created in the environment. What could be the reason for this?
Is this the kernel version we are using on an ARM 9 board: kernel 2.6.12-h1940
4. Can anyone please recommend any complete in-depth step by step guide for setting up LINUX environment and application development using C on an ARM board?
Meaning as to how the IP can be defined in ARM 9 linux?
1) How the file system works?
2) How to enable the functionality and working of /etc/inittab file in ARM 9 linux?
3) What pre-requisite requirements, cautionary steps or suitable/appropriate steps need to be adapted before invoking a process as a daemon ( to run in the background) from a script file?
Above are just some of the examples. I mean to say all and everything related to linux and the environment itself on ARM board.
I would also want to inform that the date and time of ARM 9 board was set to : January 1st, 1970 UTC. I have now changed it to the current date and time , which is same as the WINDOWS PC terminal machine too. Could this be the reason for issue ##1?
Will be very much thankful for everyone's support, timely assistance and feedback to the above given queries.
Looking forward for a reply from your people's side.