Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have recently installed PCLOS and it seems to working great except for when i install programs (wine, tuxkart) through synaptic the download and install but when i try ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    bpn
    Just Joined!

pclos cannot run installed programs

Hi, I have recently installed PCLOS and it seems to working great except for when i install programs (wine, tuxkart) through synaptic the download and install but when i try to run them they show up in the task bar for about 30sec and then nothing happens. This is a hard drive install dual booted with XP. I should mention that I have tried logged in as root and as a user with no success. I have also tried reinstalling and still the same problem. could this have to due with me not assigning a password for root after install?
    anyhelp would be great as this is my first foray into Linux.

How are you running wine? From a menu item? or from the command line? If from the command line, are you doing it like for instance...
    Code:
    wine windows_program.exe
    ?
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

bpn
    Just Joined!
    i have tried running it from the menu and tried from command line firstly with winecfg to set it up. but my problem is not specific to wine (just happened to be the example i picked) i tried downloading other programs through synaptic and nothing seems to run when i pick it form the menu after installation.
    p.s. and for the record the root has a password now.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Does firefox or konqueror do the same thing? Run something from the command line and maybe you'll get some errors we can go on. As regular user...
    Code:
    firefox
    Code:
    konqueror
    etc...
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

bpn
    Just Joined!
    Well i was messing around with it tonight and managed to mess up the video driver so i reinstalled and left the defacto driver in and am able to run some of the programs. i think it maybe an update/ video driver combination problem. i think i can hash it out from here.
    thanks for your help Dan.

Gord