Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there, I'm pretty much a newbie with Linux, so if I ask something TOO stupid I apologyze. I just want to learn... I had some trouble installing the PClinuxOS ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy PCLinuxOS startup

Hi there,

I'm pretty much a newbie with Linux, so if I ask something TOO stupid I apologyze. I just want to learn... I had some trouble installing the PClinuxOS distribution because I wanted to install it in a spear 10GB hard disk and there was something wrong with the DMA mode or so. I disabled the DMA and I could finally get the LiveCD working, and I installed succesfully the OS in this drive. Now, when I boot my pc for linux it gets stuck at a point where says:

Setting default font (lat0-16) [OK]

I had also the same error when trying to start the LiveCD of a Gentoo distro. If someone has an idea how to solve this please let me know.

Thanks!!!

Hi and Welcome !

Post your Machine's specs here.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!

Unhappy

Hello devils_casper,

I have an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+, 896Mb RAM. Video and Sound are MotherBoard integrated (MSI K9AGM2). Video is ATI Redeon Xpress 1250. I installed PCLOS in the small one (10GB IDE), and for the install I had to disable the DMA mode, otherwise it would not work. Thanks for your help...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    It looks like Graphics Card problem. Highlight PClinuxOS title in GRUB Menu and press 'a'. Type single and hit Enter key.
    Does it boot up in Command line mode?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper View Post
    It looks like Graphics Card problem. Highlight PClinuxOS title in GRUB Menu and press 'a'. Type single and hit Enter key.
    Does it boot up in Command line mode?
    Could you be a little more specific? should I type 'a=single'? If so, it does nothing...the system halts right after the Setting Default Font [OK] message appear. When the LiveCD was getting run this error never happened. I saw in another Thread that this problem occurred to another guy, but when running the CD and after some minutes the system continued...this is not my case...can this be any error in the install?

Thanks...

Press 'a' and type single only not a=single.
    OR
    Highlight title again and press 'e'. Select kernel line and press 'e' again. Type single and hit Enter key. Press 'b'.

Just Joined!
    Hi, I have similar problem related with DMA and stuff
    Look's like it's about Harddisk problem in my system,
    so i replace with other HD and it works fine...

Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by johntanu
    Hi, I have similar problem related with DMA and stuff
    Look's like it's about Harddisk problem in my system,
    so i replace with other HD and it works fine...
    It could be DMA problem and one can pass nodma parameter to kernel to sort it out.