Find the answer to your Linux question:
I installed PCLinuxOS today but cannot find anywhere to download the complete GCC tools. I found sources gut that is useless without having GCC in the first place. How do ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Where/How Installing GCC?

I installed PCLinuxOS today but cannot find anywhere to download the complete GCC tools. I found sources gut that is useless without having GCC in the first place.

How do I download GCC binaries with all libraries/includes and how do i install it? Linux is a real PITA. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys.

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    You can install gcc by doing
    Code:
    #apt-get update
    #apt-get install gcc
    Alternatively you can use Synaptic which is the GUI package manager.

Ok, bear with me as the only time I used Linux was about 10 years ago on the PowerPC platform. Consider me a newb.

Do I type those commands in the terminal? And is that all I need to type and it will download/install it automatically or what?

Yes. Type those commands in Terminal and it will download/install packages for you. You must have root privileges to execute those commands.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Alright, I will try it. I just installed KNOPPIX but I can't get the internet working now. Once I figure that out I will run those commands.

Well, it worked. I now have GCC on KNOPPIX. And I did get the internet working. However, I wish it were easier to setup the internet on Linux like it is on Windows and MacOS.

However, I wish it were easier to setup the internet on Linux like it is on Windows and MacOS.[/QUOTE]
    It depends on your distro, hardware and internet connection. Its fairly simple to setup wired connections. Wireless connections are a different matter because most use proprietary chipsets.

I am wired. I have a cable modem, NOT wireless.

If you have a wired connection, then it shouldn't be too complicated. Usually the setup is done interactively during setting or automatically when you are running from a live cd. Since you are using PCLinuxOS, it should be a matter of running the control center, go to the networking section and choose the option to setup a new connection.

PCLinuxOS auto detects it, the problem was with KNOPPIX