Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Too late in life to start a new career! 8-(

Quote Originally Posted by Led43 View Post
    Frank .....Rhymer@netspace.net.au
    start a new thread and let me know where its is. Give us some details of hardware particularly the nic, and any error messages and I will see what I can do. I'm very busy this weekend but will try to help.

Ahhhh,the nic! Short for nicotine perhaps? I fear my jargon
    is not up to scratch either! I really have never heard of a nic.

The box says it is a Sejin computer. It came to me with 128 megs of memory and I found another couple of chips and tripled that. The one I really want to get going is a pentium3, but I have also tried it on a pentium4 with no result! It can't find the web but if I remove the PCLinuxOS disk and put Knoppix,Puppy,Mepis or a few others in, It comes straight up on the iNTERNET!
    i'VE NEVER GOT ANY ERROR MESSAGES! It just goes on a search for Google and never finds anything! It just keeps searching!

Puppy works fine but won't install. Others hang during installation

Mepis works and installs so perhaps I had better quit banging my head against the wall and stick with Mepis!

Thanks heaps for the interest!

Frank

Just Joined!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by rhymer View Post

Ahhhh,the nic! Short for nicotine perhaps? I fear my jargon
    is not up to scratch either! I really have never heard of a nic.

The box says it is a Sejin computer. It came to me with 128 megs of memory and I found another couple of chips and tripled that. The one I really want to get going is a pentium3, but I have also tried it on a pentium4 with no result! It can't find the web but if I remove the PCLinuxOS disk and put Knoppix,Puppy,Mepis or a few others in, It comes straight up on the iNTERNET!
    i'VE NEVER GOT ANY ERROR MESSAGES! It just goes on a search for Google and never finds anything! It just keeps searching!

Puppy works fine but won't install. Others hang during installation

Mepis works and installs so perhaps I had better quit banging my head against the wall and stick with Mepis!

Thanks heaps for the interest!

Frank

NIC =network interface card for those less well informed . Ok first thing to check is weather the NIC has been found by the O/S and the correct driver module loaded. Open a terminal and type su followed by your root password. Then type "ifconfig" with out the quotes and post the out put here. Remember this is the first time I have installed PCLinuxOS, so I'm a bit of a newbie to this distro but I have been using Mandriva for a while. Which is what PCLinuxOS is based on
    Led43