Find the answer to your Linux question:
I recently did a reinstall of PCLinuxOS 2007 after I had done an upgrade to the latest build. My system was running rather slow after the upgrade (not enough ram). ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question PCLOS2007 network lose after restart

I recently did a reinstall of PCLinuxOS 2007 after I had done an upgrade to the latest build. My system was running rather slow after the upgrade (not enough ram). After the reinstall I had no internet access.I have gone through the set up in PCC and my system sees my ethernet card but I can't get an internet connection.
    I am using a 5 Port Ethernet switch by Netgear (Model FS605 10/100 mbps). This was the configuration I had before the reinstall and everything worked just fine. To troubleshoot I bypassed the ethernet switch and went direct to my Dell from the router and I had instant connectivity. Once I do this, I can then put the switch back in line and I still have connectivity until the next time I reboot and I have to perform the same procedure again.A bit of a pain in the arsenic. I never had to do this prior to the reinstall. At 1st I figured it may be a bad cable or my ethernet port on the Dell or even a bad port on the switch but this little test proves otherwise.
    Does the ethernet cable send my ethernet port a signal or ping that enables PCLinux to see a connection and would the switch perhaps interfere? I don't believe the switch would but I am at a lose here so I am just thinking out loud.What do ya think folks,sound like a software,hardware or notsureware issue?Anyone with any suggestions?

Just Joined!
    http://www.netgear.com/upload/produc...gram_fs605.gif

I beleive this is the back of the switch you. Just to be sure you got your router plugged into the uplink port which is the port all the way on the right. After we're that's correct, which it probably is, I'd say it sounds like you DHCP isn't making it through the switch which would explain why after you have a lease you can then use the switch. Does you switch have a hard reset on it? Also if you have the PC plugged straight into the router and restart, does it still work? Hope I got you pointed in the right direction.

Yes,that is my switch and I do have the cables configured correctly. And yes, I do get a network connection if I run straight to my laptop and by-pass the switch (I do not see a hard reset switch anywhere). If I leave the laptop connected to the router I still retain connectivity after I reboot.
    This problem only appeared recently after I did an upgrade from the live CD to the latest build.The problem still persisted even after I reinstalled PCLinux from the live CD.Thanx for your response (the only one so far!). Hopefully we can figure this out.It's a pain in the rump....

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Can you live without the switch?? Or do you absolutely need it?

It can't be a software problem because the switch itself is just basic wiring that distributes the internet. It's actually a very simple device. So the problem has to be between it and your router. My guess is something happened before you reinstalled, but didn't know it because you still had a connection. Once you reinstalled, the problem just presented itself.

Additionally, you could be experiencing something called Limited To No Connectivity. This occurs when the router fails, or refuses to assign an IP Address. It could be that the new configuration of your OS and the switch is not communicating well with the router and is thus refusing to assign an IP address. If this is the case, and since we're dealing with a hard line and not wireless, you're really SOL.

I realize I contradicted myself between those two paragraphs. That's just how internet is. It was not fun working with customers about internet when I was working at CompUSA. You may have to live without the switch or maybe even buy a new one. Or maybe someone on here knows something I don't and can assist you further.
    Linux user since: June 2007
    Current distro: kubuntu-14.04
    Specs: AMD Atholon 64 X2 3.2 Ghz, 4GB RAM, GeForce GTS 250 1GB VRAM
    High five if you saw the linux computers 24 used on their CTU sets.

Thank you very much for that info!
    Yeah, I kinda need the switch at this point as I have 3 computers (my Linux laptop,A PowerMac,and an i-Mac w/ Airport card) which share the connection.My PowerMac does not have an Airport card so I have to use the switch.
    I will be getting a new MacBook Pro soon and will dual-boot with either PCLOS or Ubuntu. The Mac will come with an Airport card so I will have to figure out how Linux handles the Apple cards.I will actually be getting rid of the Dell laptop when I get the MacBook.
    Thanx for the great info and your support!

Just Joined!
    type in
    ipconfig
    as superuser in your console and post the results on here....I'm thinking the issue deals with your hardware and that either when you reinstalled, the information on your driver was either erased OR the network card is not "turned on."

I typed in the command in super user mode and got this return:

~]# -bash: ipconfig: command not found

Wink

Howdy folks!

I gave up on trying to figure this one out.
    I booted from an old Ubuntu (6.06) Live CD and found that I had network access again via the switch.Strange.I decided to install Ubuntu but ran into problems with the CD.So I tried Fedora but no network.I tried Kubuntu.No network.I finally went back and installed PCLOS 07 and ....

NETWORK VIA THE SWITCH!

Don't ask me how....it was just there.It is running rather slow but all of my machines have been having a bad internet day for the last few days.I need to get a hold of my ISP and see if there is anything going on on their end.
    Well,for now,consider this case kinda closed.We'll see what happens after the update....