Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just installed PCLOS on an old Dell cpx-H500GT. And despite only having 128MB of RAM this thing runs great. (Am going to add another 256MB next week) My only ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Boot issue with PCLOS

I just installed PCLOS on an old Dell cpx-H500GT. And despite only having 128MB of RAM this thing runs great. (Am going to add another 256MB next week)

My only issue is that when I choose the default 'Linux' option from the grub menu, it loads everything up fine and then starts to load the Xserver and the screen turns black... the machine continues to run as if all is well, but I just can't see it. However, if I choose 'Linux nonfs', it boots without issue. So my two questions are, what might be causing my issue with the default boot, and how do I fix it.

Thanks.

Edit: Not sure if it helps or not but I do get a 'Starting HAL daemon FAILED' message during boot.

Quote Originally Posted by pikaia View Post
    So my two questions are, what might be causing my issue with the default boot, and how do I fix it.
    You can edit the /boot/grub/menu.lst file and change the line with default 0 to default 1. If your menu matches mine then the start of the file looks something like this ...
    Code:
    timeout 10
    color black/cyan yellow/cyan
    gfxmenu (hd0,10)/usr/share/gfxboot/themes/pclinuxos/boot/message
    default 0

title linux
    kernel (hd0,10)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=linux root=/dev/sda11  acpi=on resume=/dev/sda5 splash=silent vga=788
    initrd (hd0,10)/boot/initrd.img

title linux-nonfb
    kernel (hd0,10)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=linux-nonfb root=/dev/sda11  acpi=on resume=/dev/sda5
    initrd (hd0,10)/boot/initrd.img
    I'd try booting without splash=silent ... it may cure the problems.

If you want to try the boot before you change the menu.lst file then at the grub menu during boot press esc, select the entry you want to modify and press e to edit, select the line and press e again - make changes and press enter, then press b to boot.

If you are struggling ... then post the output of
    Code:
    su
    cat /boot/grub/menu.lst