Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am running dual monitor on 2 video cards...I tried ubuntu,suse,fedora,centos, and pclinuxos. suse,fedora, and centos the graphics were entirely messed up. (I have used ubuntu on my laptop ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Pclinuxos question

Hi,

I am running dual monitor on 2 video cards...I tried ubuntu,suse,fedora,centos, and pclinuxos. suse,fedora, and centos the graphics were entirely messed up. (I have used ubuntu on my laptop for years) and ubuntu would make two separate screens, and enabling xinerama caused everything to go wild and it said no screens found. Finally, pclinuxos booted with the two separate screens, I enabled xinerama, and wow, it worked! so i installed it to my harddrive...I was just wondering is pclinux related to any other distros because I want to know what other distros may possibly work then! thanks!

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by woms14 View Post
    ...I was just wondering is pclinux related to any other distros because I want to know what other distros may possibly work then! thanks!
    When it was first put together, PCLinuxOS was based on Mandrake (now known as Mandriva) but I'm not sure how closely they are related these days.
    oz

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    PCLinuxOS is based on Mandriva although they include a lot of their own patches, kernels, so its more like a fork of Mandriva.

Just Joined!
    PCLinuxOS (2007) is my default distro. Another later version called "MiniMe" is also on one of the partitions, and in fact supplies the bootloader for everything, since it was the last properly working distro to be installed.

As mentioned, it is a fork of Mandriva. It started out as a bunch of Mandrake RPM packages maintained by Bill Reynolds (Texstar). In going his own way, he created the fork of Mandrake which has developed into a proper distro.

Aside form PCLinuxOS being largely the work of one individual (I expect by now there is more help), PCLinuxOS, in my opinion, is up there with the best of them. It uses the Synaptic package manager (the Debian mainstay), reworked to function with RPM repositories. The PCLinux repositories are not as large as Debian's, but all the mainstay applications are there.

The main features are mentioned at This Link

Except that I had to hand-configure my /etc/X11/xorg.conf to add in the 1600x1200 resolution because my monitor is non-cooperative for hardware detection, everything I have tried has just worked. Although a smaller player, this one is a seriously hardball distro!