Find the answer to your Linux question:
First, Im honored to be involved with Linux, and the community it has gained. People willing to help eachother, and help the spread of Linux, is truly a bold and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Moving files between Windows & Linux

First, Im honored to be involved with Linux, and the community it has gained. People willing to help eachother, and help the spread of Linux, is truly a bold and worthy goal.
    I have used Linux exclusively for 3 years now and only get into windows on my mothers computer to "fix" it for her. I have a small home network with wireless connectivity thru a router. My mothers cottage has a windowsXP box that she uses to email her relatives and play solitaire. I have a desktop box running PCLinuxOS dual booting with Kubuntu, and 2 laptops. My problem is I sometimes need to move files easily between all computers. Text files and pictures mostly. i have tried openssh, and filezilla; and I must say after 2 months of trying to configure it Im lost.
    Thanks for any suggestions

Linux Newbie
    I'll tell you a secret...I just email the files between the machines. All the machines have email, right. It's not appropriate behavior for a slackhead zombie, I know, I'm supposed to set up SAMBA and map slices onto all those little XP boxes...and I did and it works but it still easier to just email them to an account on the mail server and download them from there...please don't tell the other zombies...they'll laugh at me...;(

Quote Originally Posted by dijetlo View Post
    I'll tell you a secret...I just email the files between the machines. All the machines have email, right. It's not appropriate behavior for a slackhead zombie, I know, I'm supposed to set up SAMBA and map slices onto all those little XP boxes...and I did and it works but it still easier to just email them to an account on the mail server and download them from there...please don't tell the other zombies...they'll laugh at me...;(
    I'm not laughing dijetlo, I do it myself! I also will download to usb device and go to the other machine to download it. We also use ftp client "krusader" from Windows to Linux. Just whatever works at that moment.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    Thank you guys.
    I was embarassed to say that this is what I have been doing all along. With all of the advancements in technology Im still moving files like i did years ago. Im still sitting here working with filezilla all day and still cant get any progress. I know linux is about the journey more than the means to an end; but this is the kind of thing that discourages so many of the people I have tried to turn on to Linux. Nevertheless, Im gonna figure this out and hopefully be able to show others in a simple, step by step method, how to get past all the frustration of moving files cross platform. thanks again for your support

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    I'm not laughing dijetlo, I do it myself! I also will download to usb device and go to the other machine to download it. We also use ftp client "krusader" from Windows to Linux. Just whatever works at that moment.
    Amen Dan, I say "Whatever works".
    Plus with the email thing, you can retrieve things from machines that aren't yours to begin with.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

I agree. Just email the files to yourself. OR copy them ontp a USB flash drive. This should work.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Emailing is fine for small files, but a pain for anything but occasional uses, so I don't recommend that. If you set up your systems properly, you can remote-mount your mother's C drive (and any others) using the cifs file system driver and read/write to her system without any difficulty at all. I do that on my home network all the time. I have created mount points for each XP system in my user directory in ~/mnt, such as ~/mnt/moms_c_drive or something like that. Then I have a script that mounts those drives automatically when I log into my Linux system, and another that unmounts them when I log off. The command to mount them is (on RHEL or CentOS): /sbin/mount.cifs //moms_ip_address/C$ ~/mnt/moms_c_drive user=id,password=pswd

You will need to make mount.cifs setuid root, or sudo the command. The userid and password need to have admin privileges on mom's machine, or you will have to share the C drive, which you probably do not want to do.

Once you have mounted the drive, you can copy files to/from it at will. You can also run clamscan to virus check it if you want.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!