Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
This is a really dumb question but i've never had to deal with this before. I have a computer with the server version of Ubuntu installed on it which is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How do you uninstall/reinstall a distro?

This is a really dumb question but i've never had to deal with this before. I have a computer with the server version of Ubuntu installed on it which is not recognizing the internet. Someone recomended i install PCLinuxOS. How do i uninstall Ubuntu and install PCLinuxOS?

If you're wanting to give the whole hard drive over to PCLinuxOS, then it's just a matter of rebooting with the CD/DVD in the tray.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

oz
    forum.guy
    No need to uninstall anything... just install the new distro of your choice right over the old distro using the same partitions.
    oz

Just Joined!
    When you put in the disk of new linux, and format the partition which had the old one, it automatically gets uninstalled!!

Quote Originally Posted by HosaLinux View Post
    When you put in the disk of new linux, and format the partition which had the old one, it automatically gets uninstalled!!
    I like to say automagically!
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    It didn't seem to do that when i rebooted with the CD in the drive, but i think that's because i burned the image on a CD-RW and i'm not sure if the drive on that computer can read RW's. Does it work to burn an image on a CD-RW/DVD-RW?

Does it work to burn an image on a CD-RW/DVD-RW?
    That's what I've always done... Just make sure that you check the md5sum. And if you still have problems, you can try to burn at a lower speed.

*EDIT*

I've also seen suggestions about switching brands of CD's/DVD's.
    Last edited by jayd512; 03-16-2009 at 09:38 PM. Reason: afterthought
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    The reason it wasn't working was because the BIOS wasn't configured to boot from the CD drive. Except I have a different problem now, PCLinuxOS won't run

Quote Originally Posted by Xelaric View Post
    The reason it wasn't working was because the BIOS wasn't configured to boot from the CD drive. Except I have a different problem now, PCLinuxOS won't run
    Define "PCLinuxOS won't run". You cannot get it to boot, or install? Any errors or warnings of any kind?
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    When i try to run the LiveCD an error message pops up saying "error reading boot disk" on one of the CDs i have, then the other one i have the screen just goes blank

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast