Find the answer to your Linux question:
I found this via Google because I have the exact same problem as the OP (with PCLinuxOS 2009.2 Live CD) The Wiki at pclinuxos.com/wiki/index.php/Live_CD_Frequently-Asked_Questions also says, The password for root ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined! Digital_Resistance's Avatar

Can't Login to Live CD (PcLinuxOS)

I found this via Google because I have the exact same problem as the OP (with PCLinuxOS 2009.2 Live CD)

The Wiki at

pclinuxos.com/wiki/index.php/Live_CD_Frequently-Asked_Questions

also says,
    The password for root is root. The password for guest is guest.
    Yet it won't budge for me.

I also wonder why the username and password needed to login isn't shown on the screen, the way it is a number of other distros.

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

What do you mean when you say "it won't budge"?

What error message are you getting when you try to login, if any?
    oz

Just Joined! Digital_Resistance's Avatar
    Thanks for the welcome and prompt reply.

A screen is displayed with the prompt 'localhost login:'

I enter 'guest' and get prompted for a password. When I enter 'guest' again, a line beginning with $*, If I recall correctly is displayed and nothing further happens.

(*I forgot to write down the full text but as should be clear from what I describe just below, I shouldn't be getting that screen and those types of lines at all)

The funny thing is that while this has happened every time I've tried the PCLinuxOS live CD with my now-ten-year-old Dell Latitude C600 (PIII, 384 MB RAM), I just tried with my newer Inspiron B120 ( Celeron 1.4 GHZ, 2GB RAM) and did not have this problem.

On the newer Inspiron, a completely different login screen, with the needed user name/password info. was displayed and I had no problem logging-in as user name: guest, password: guest.

By the way, my above post was actually a reply to an existing thread, so I'm not sure how this got turned into a separate thread.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close