Find the answer to your Linux question:
Results 1 to 3 of 3
After marking all upgrades in Synaptic, and restarting the computer, I see a whole slew of new 'accounts' available in the login console and neither my user account nor root ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #1
    Linux Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    139

    [[Almost Solved]] PCLOS 2010 KDE Logins After Updates


    After marking all upgrades in Synaptic, and restarting the computer, I see a whole slew of new 'accounts' available in the login console and neither my user account nor root can start KDE. Upon login, I get xterm and I am able to launch x11 applications such as Synaptic, but they are unstable at best. VirtualBox seemed to crash hard and could not find the virtual machine I had configured immediately before updates. (Though I created the machines as the user and VirtualBox under root didn't find them and I know that VirtualBox creates the machine files on the local user account at least by default so that is probably my issue there.)

    What I would like to do is to return the system to a state where the user I'm configuring this machine for is able to see a graphical login and choose his username, type his password, and log in to his KDE Session. I don't want to reinstall Linux. I want to learn how to fix the error and if at all possible, what the cause was and how to prevent it in the future.

    The hardware I'm working with is an netbook (ASUS EeePC 1000HA) and the user's specifications are that the netbook have either Windows XP or Linux with KDE and I've chosen to give him both with a Linux host and a Windows Guest. I tried two fresh installs of PCLinuxOS (which is a Mandriva derivative if you aren't aware) 2010.07 and the only addon software I installed was VirtualBox OSE (including Guest Additions) and compiz-fusion. I have gone into Synaptic and chosen to uninstall compiz-fusion and will post my results.

    If it helps, the new "users" are:
    Nobody (nobody)
    adm
    bin
    daemon
    halt
    lp
    mail
    news
    operator
    shutdown
    sync
    system user for avahi (avahi)
    system user for avahi (avahi-autoipd)
    system user for dansguardian (dansguardian)
    system user for dbus (messagebus)
    system user for hal (haldaemon)
    system user for mysql (mysql)
    system user for nfs-utils (rpcuser)
    system user for ntp (ntp)
    system user for openssh (sshd)
    system user for policykit (polituser)
    system user for rpcbind (rpc)
    system user for rpm (rpm)
    system user for rtkit (rtkit)
    system user for saned (saned)
    system user for squid (squid)
    system user for usbmuxd (usbmuxd)
    system user for util-linux-ng (uuidd)
    system user for xfs (xfs)
    uucp
    virtual console memory owner (vcsa)


    With what little I know about user groups in Linux, it looks to me like something in the update added all the user and group accounts as users able to log in AND also somehow changes permissions so that the KDM fails to start. I know that X11 is working and uninstalling compiz-fusion did not help. I will now try to reinstall KDE and all its components and edit/reply as needed.

    I appreciate any assistance I receive here.




    Edit: I 'fixed' it but I still want to know what happened and how to prevent it from happening again. I logged in as root and got into synaptic again to see what was installed. I changed repositories and reinstalled all the KDE base packages, logged out, and restarted the X server and now everything is working properly again. Of potential note, some other symptoms prior to the restart were that during and after the update but before the first restart, certain widgets failed to display properly. They all had a red square with the white X some error I couldn't read well that said something about not being able to connect to X. I would still like some help figuring out what happened, and how to prevent it. I imagine there's some broken packages on that repository server and I should probably let them know, but until I know for sure that was the cause and what to say, I don't want to go accusing wildly.
    Last edited by wolfton; 08-11-2010 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Almost Solved

  2. #2
    Super Moderator devils casper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Chandigarh, India
    Posts
    24,729
    It looks like sources conflict only. You might have enabled a few unsupported/conflicting sources.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

  3. #3
    Linux Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    139

    sources

    I didn't select multiple source repositories, only one each time. I suppose I was very naive, thinking that the stuff in the repositories was already tested or supported.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •