Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi. I'm a newbie here & to linux. I have a dell descktop pc running windows xp home. I recently added a second hard drive which i reformated. I installed ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Angry Grub error 21 problem

Hi. I'm a newbie here & to linux. I have a dell descktop pc running windows xp home. I recently added a second hard drive which i reformated. I installed linux on the second harddrive from a disk i created from the linux website. Everything was running fine for a couple of days. I logged on one time & i got the message 'grub loading' error 21. since then i have not been able to acces either harddrive, even after changing boot sequence & even removing the second hdd i cant even get windows back, just keep getting the same error message. I thought that installing linux on the second hard drive would not affect the main hdd, one with windows on it, seems i was wrong. I can still boot linux but only from the disk & when i try to reinstall linux using the desktop icon i get a message telling me that there's a hardware problem so i can't even reinstall linux. I would appreciate any help as i have been wraking my brain but don't seem to be getting anywhere, i'm out of options.

Hi and Welcome !

Linux installers install Boot Loader (GRUB) in MBR of Primary disk by default. Although you have installed Linux in second disk, GRUB has been installed in MBR of First disk only.

First of all, remove GRUB from first disk. Boot up from Windows Installation CD and select Repair. It will drop at command prompt. Execute fixmbr command. It will remove GRUB and re-install Windows Boot Loader. Windows OS will boot up fine after that.
    I can still boot linux but only from the disk & when i try to reinstall linux using the desktop icon i get a message telling me that there's a hardware problem so i can't even reinstall linux.
    Could you post exact error message here?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First