Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have read that PCLinuxOS is a fork of Mandrake. I used to have Mandriva08 booted and am curious of how it compared to Mandriva and if PCLinuxOS used DrakeTools ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Tour of PCLinuxOS

I have read that PCLinuxOS is a fork of Mandrake. I used to have Mandriva08 booted and am curious of how it compared to Mandriva and if PCLinuxOS used DrakeTools , if they had something like MCC (Madriva Control Center) and so on. I like the direction of Mandriva and not so much that of Ubuntu although I believe both can make great products. Is there any info or comparisons that you could share?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by theKbStockpiler; 03-05-2011 at 04:00 AM.

Just Joined!
    Yes it uses drak tools. It has the PCC which operates almost exactly like the MCC you mentioned. All packages are installed thru Synaptic
    The Forum is friendly and its a very easy distro to use. It's perfect if you're someone that knows little to nothing about linux, or for some one who knows a lot about linux but doesn't want to do do as much work to get it going.

Thanks for the Reply!

I read a little about it some where that PCLinuxOS was inspired because of the bureaucracy of the other distros. Personally I think the bureaucracy is between the users of the same distros. I had the most initial success with Mandriva 08 and was very disappointed with Mandriva 10 so I was looking for a solution that was a fork of Mandriva or something. Fedora has filled the gap but it is great to know that there is a Mandriva like distro to recommend to beginners.

Thanks again for the Reply!

Just Joined!
    You're welcome,
    One more thing about PCLOS it's put together by private people in their spare time despite this it still has an overall professional look & feel.
    There doesn't seem to be a bureaucracy to it because the main man of the distro Texstar & the ripper gang are regulars in the forum, as are other regular software contributors.