Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, My problem is with the key "2" when I'm log on to my computer and press at a time the "2" button then i am logging off. this is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Smile logoff

Hello,

My problem is with the key "2" when I'm log on to my computer and press at a time the "2" button then i am logging off. this is happens only once a day, ore when the computer has to reboot (after an update or so).

I've looked already in all the places i know where to change it, but whit no outcome.

Has some one any idea?

thanks in advance,

Jan

Just Joined!
    What OS are you using and which desktop manager? Also depending on how comfortable you are with commandline
    $ man -k keyboard
    will tell you what commands you can use to explore if neccesary.
    My money is on a sticky meta key, try cleaning or swapping your keyboard and see if that has an effect.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by moksha View Post
    What OS are you using and which desktop manager? Also depending on how comfortable you are with commandline
    $ man -k keyboard
    will tell you what commands you can use to explore if neccesary.
    My money is on a sticky meta key, try cleaning or swapping your keyboard and see if that has an effect.
    The OS I'm using is pclinuxos with Gnome.
    I'm not that comfortable with command line, but when i type "man -k keyboard"
    i get a lot to see on the terminal what i don't understand.

[jan@linuxd ~]$ man -k keyboard
    get_wch [curs_get_wch] (3x) - get (or push back) a wide character from curses terminal keyboard
    get_wstr [curs_get_wstr] (3x) - get an array of wide characters from a curses terminal keyboard
    getch [curs_getch] (3x) - get (or push back) characters from curses terminal keyboard
    getn_wstr [curs_get_wstr] (3x) - get an array of wide characters from a curses terminal keyboard
    getnstr [curs_getstr] (3x) - accept character strings from curses terminal keyboard
    getstr [curs_getstr] (3x) - accept character strings from curses terminal keyboard
    has_key [curs_getch] (3x) - get (or push back) characters from curses terminal keyboard
    mvget_wch [curs_get_wch] (3x) - get (or push back) a wide character from curses terminal keyboard
    mvget_wstr [curs_get_wstr] (3x) - get an array of wide characters from a curses terminal keyboard
    mvgetch [curs_getch] (3x) - get (or push back) characters from curses terminal keyboard
    mvgetn_wstr [curs_get_wstr] (3x) - get an array of wide characters from a curses terminal keyboard
    mvgetnstr [curs_getstr] (3x) - accept character strings from curses terminal keyboard
    mvgetstr [curs_getstr] (3x) - accept character strings from curses terminal keyboard
    mvwget_wch [curs_get_wch] (3x) - get (or push back) a wide character from curses terminal keyboard
    mvwget_wstr [curs_get_wstr] (3x) - get an array of wide characters from a curses terminal keyboard
    mvwgetch [curs_getch] (3x) - get (or push back) characters from curses terminal keyboard
    mvwgetn_wstr [curs_get_wstr] (3x) - get an array of wide characters from a curses terminal keyboard
    mvwgetnstr [curs_getstr] (3x) - accept character strings from curses terminal keyboard
    mvwgetstr [curs_getstr] (3x) - accept character strings from curses terminal keyboard
    unget_wch [curs_get_wch] (3x) - get (or push back) a wide character from curses terminal keyboard
    ungetch [curs_getch] (3x) - get (or push back) characters from curses terminal keyboard
    wget_wch [curs_get_wch] (3x) - get (or push back) a wide character from curses terminal keyboard
    wget_wstr [curs_get_wstr] (3x) - get an array of wide characters from a curses terminal keyboard
    wgetch [curs_getch] (3x) - get (or push back) characters from curses terminal keyboard
    wgetn_wstr [curs_get_wstr] (3x) - get an array of wide characters from a curses terminal keyboard
    wgetnstr [curs_getstr] (3x) - accept character strings from curses terminal keyboard
    wgetstr [curs_getstr] (3x) - accept character strings from curses terminal keyboard
    [jan@linuxd ~]$

But i will try to clean the or swap the keyboard.

Thanks for the replay, ill come back to it.

Jan

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    What man -k returned I was not expecting, it is a simply a request to return the names of any manuals with the word keyboard in it, I have looked anyway and I cannot see anything yet. I would be looking in your systemsettings. I am not familiar with gnome and looking at the shortcut keys, my money is on there being a log off shortcut ALT 2 , CTRL 2 or something like that and the a hand movement brushing and upsetting that key.

Good luck

PS Well worth getting familiar with command line it is great fun linux - magazine have recently published the Linux Shell Handbook which is packed with lots of juicy info and practical examples