Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello everyone, I'm still new using linux, what's the mean of terminals and konsole? and what function both? please tell me, thank you...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Terminals and konsole

Hello everyone,

I'm still new using linux, what's the mean of terminals and konsole? and what function both?

please tell me,

thank you

If you mean the Konsole program, it is a terminal windows, but there are others.
    xterm, gnome-console... similar to a command prompt window in the Windows world.

If you mean the Linux Console, that would be a text-only login session for Linux.

They both have the same function. A direct interaction with the underlying OS, no graphical tools or interface.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    I often hear from my friends who using linux, if in linux I can modify the programs as my desire, is that true?

and how to modify it?

By the way, I don't know how to install software in linux can you tell me? and please give me an example.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by gongpex View Post
    I often hear from my friends who using linux, if in linux I can modify the programs as my desire, is that true?

and how to modify it?
    Yes, it is true. I've had no need to do so myself, so can't really give any details on the process, but documentation is readily available.
    Basically, you download the source code of a program, tweak it in whatever way is desired, and compile it.

By the way, I don't know how to install software in linux can you tell me? and please give me an example.

Thank you
    Depends on the distribution you are using, but there are 2 common methods.
    One is with a GUI program that you can use to, for lack of a better term, click on the application that you want to install.
    The other method, that many prefer, is through a terminal window. The commands differ by distro. This page from DistroWatch may help with some of that.

For Fedora:
    Code:
    yum install package_name
    Ubuntu or Debian:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install package_name
    And so forth.
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by gongpex View Post
    I don't know how to install software in linux can you tell me? and please give me an example.
    Hello

You can check this thread for instructions on installing software under Linux:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...are-linux.html
    oz

Just Joined!
    Hello everyone,

before, thank you for reply my question, I have tried to install
    software/application but I'm still failed.

I install it using
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install write.exe
    I have image about process to install, but I cannot post the image because I must post 15 post
    (whereas in "posting permission" [img] code is on)

I still confuse when the konsole written "couldn't find package
    write.exe", so where I must put the "package" so that I can install the application?

please someone help me

Thanks

That wouldn't work...
    Linux doesn't employ .exe files. Those are written for Windows systems.
    But you can tell apt-get to just install a <package>

Here is an example.
    Frozen Bubble is a popular, and very simple game.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install frozen-bubble
    Done.

I'm not sure what the package name would be for what you're looking for, though. You may have to do a little Googling to find the Linux equivalent of that software.
    Last edited by jayd512; 08-08-2011 at 07:13 PM.
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Linux Guru
    Since you are posting this under PCLinux and are a new user, the simplest way would be to use the Synaptic Package Manager. Mouse over the icons in the lower left of your Desktop screen until you see the one labelled Synaptic Package Manager, click it to open. You need your root password. Look for the program you want or use the search function. As jayd512 said above, you can't install programs designed specifically for one operating system (windows) on another (Linux). You may be able to use them but you would first need to install other software (wine).

Just Joined!
    hello everyone,

I had been tried to install game that I download from : dir.linuxforums.org/category/24/program/74/

I download "ksudoku", and I install it like this:

Code:
    [root@localhost ~]#  sudo apt-get install system:/media/sda1/ksudoku/fastinstall.sh
    But the results like this:

Code:
    Reading Package Lists. . . Done
    Building Dependency Tree. . . Done
    E: Couldn't find package system:
    so what I must do now?
    please help me.
    Thank you

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    apt-get is for installing Debian packages (with an extension of "deb") from the repositories of Debian, Ubuntu and related distros. You are trying to run some sort of shell script, so try
    Code:
    sh /media/sda1/ksudoku/fastinstall.sh
    Last edited by daark.child; 08-18-2011 at 08:33 AM. Reason: fix typo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast