Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello there! I'm posting to ask for help with a very serious problem with my PCLinuxOS installation. Sometimes, when I try to use the integrated webcam on my Asus T101MT, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Integrated webcam causes kernel panic.

Hello there!

I'm posting to ask for help with a very serious problem with my PCLinuxOS installation. Sometimes, when I try to use the integrated webcam on my Asus T101MT, the kernel will panic and force me to restart the system. I've had at least 5 panics within the last 24 hours.

What's especially strange (and I thank old-polack on the PCLinuxOS forums for pointing this out) is that the webcam is listed as a keyboard when xinput --list is run. Like so:

"USB 2.0 PC Cam" id=11 [XExtensionKeyboard]
    Type is KEYBOARD
    Num_keys is 248
    Min_keycode is 8
    Max_keycode is 255

Additional Information:

lsusb output:

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 13d3:5126 IMC Networks
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 002: ID 0486:0186 ASUS Computers, Inc.
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

Info on webcam from control center:

Identification
    Vendor: ‎Image Processor

Description: ‎USB 2.0 PC Cam

Media class: ‎Video|Video Control

Connection
    Bus: ‎USB

Bus PCI #: ‎1

PCI device #: ‎3

Vendor ID: ‎0x13d3

Device ID: ‎0x5126

Misc
    Module: ‎uvcvideo

If anyone knows what's going on, as well as any possible solutions, I would be VERY thankful.

Hello and Welcome.

My best guess is that you may be using an older kernel that does not support the device. Which kernel version are you using?
    Code:
    uname -r
    Have you tried it with another distro? Try a LiveCD like Ubuntu and see if that works.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Hello Mike!

"My best guess is that you may be using an older kernel that does not support the device. Which kernel version are you using?"

My current kernel version is 2.6.38.8-pclos1

"Have you tried it with another distro? Try a LiveCD like Ubuntu and see if that works."

I ran Ubuntu for a few weeks. It works, but it displays the image upside down. In PCLOS, when the kernel doesn't panic, the camera works fine. But only when the kernel doesn't panic. :P

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by VenomousWoe View Post
    I ran Ubuntu for a few weeks. It works, but it displays the image upside down. In PCLOS, when the kernel doesn't panic, the camera works fine. But only when the kernel doesn't panic. :P
    Well, that's no good unless you want to turn your monitor upside down. I think I would keep trying Ubuntu, or another distro, there is probably a way to configure the upside down images. Kernel panics are a whole other story.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.

Just Joined!
    "Well, that's no good unless you want to turn your monitor upside down. I think I would keep trying Ubuntu, or another distro, there is probably a way to configure the upside down images. Kernel panics are a whole other story."

I switched to PCLinuxOS simply to get away from Ubuntu, so I probably won't use it again. I was looking at Mepis, but my touchscreen didn't work properly under LiveCD, and my touchpad was way too sensitive. :/

I'll start looking elsewhere, I suppose. I wonder how Pardus is?

Shame, though. PCLinuxOS was so good...

Mepis is good. I haven't tried PCLOS in a long time so I can't really comment on that. Ever thought about Mint? It's Ubuntu based but I like it a whole lot better than Ubuntu.

Just Joined!
    I ran Mint for a while. It was OK, but I ran into some issues while using it (Most notably using the search function in the menu would freeze the computer). I think I'll look at Pardus. Looks like a very slick, polished distro. Plus, I can't argue with KDE. :P

Just Joined!
    After using all of the distros above It sounds like it might be time for you to try Slackware. If you know how to partician a hard drive with gparted with a
    / partician of about 10 gigs,
    a swap partician of about 2x memory,
    and a /home partician of 10 gigs or more.
    You have the hardest part done, you will be through with the kernel panics and etc. I am not knocking any of the above distros but what I need is the stability and control of my system.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by zrdc28 View Post
    After using all of the distros above It sounds like it might be time for you to try Slackware.
    Maybe later. I just reinstalled PCLOS, and so far I'm not having any panics. I'll report back if this changes though.

I really like PCLOS, so I hope it works out...

Just Joined!
    Hi VenomousWoe.
    Reading your initial post, not sure why you didn't stick with old-polack, and ask him to help sort out your existing problem.
    Have you searched the Forum there, or started a specific thread concerning your problem ?

The choice of Distro hopping is yours of course, if you feel PCLinuxOS is not offering what you need.
    I really like PCLOS, so I hope it works out...
    You can probably tell I'm a PCLinuxOS user