Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By rokytnji
  • 1 Post By khildin
Hi All, Am working in a major IT company, due to security issues, being a fresher am not allowed to install or asking for a specific business reason to install ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Only the terminal(command screen) no GUI, for Windows XP ???

Hi All,
    Am working in a major IT company, due to security issues, being a fresher am not allowed to install or asking for a specific business reason to install it in my system.
    The thing is i want to learn Linux, due to the same security issues we need Admin pass to install certain applications like VM ware....
    All i want is a Terminal which is capable of running all the intermediate commands... is it possible to get only the terminal window without any installation(i am not allowed to carry pendrive to office) ? the good thing is i can download anything from internet...

P.S. i also tried online linux terminal like url=cb.vu/ but these are very basic few of the commands are not working... Kindly help me

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello and welcome!

If allowed, you could boot a liveCD which would not install anything but would give you a terminal. There is also webminal.org which gives an online terminal but it might not meet all your needs.

LinuxCommand.org is always a good option for some quick and easy command line lessons.
    oz

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    Disclaimer: I aint tried or used these

addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/firefox-os-simulator/

bellard.org/jslinux/]Javascript PC Emulator

askvg.com/splashtop-os-instant-on-lightweight-browser-based-os-for-notebooks-and-netbooks/]Splashtop OS: Instant On Lightweight Browser Based OS for Notebooks and Netbooks - Tweaking with Vishal
    Thanks exactly the second link is what i was looking for.... not yet fully used it... hope it has everything needed unlike Webminal or cb.vu websites

Just Joined!
    You do realize that if you try to get around security measures explicitly implemented by the company, your risk a lot. Maybe even losing your job.
    I strongly advice to ask for extra privileges so you can do your testing and learning legitimately.
    mr_ganapathy likes this.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by khildin View Post
    You do realize that if you try to get around security measures explicitly implemented by the company, your risk a lot. Maybe even losing your job.
    I strongly advice to ask for extra privileges so you can do your testing and learning legitimately.
    Yeah, am going to read in office and execute the same in home, thanks for ur kind advice

Just Joined!

Shell via Linux in a browser tab

The developer of QEMU, FFmpeg and other things (Fabrice Bellard) has written an emulator in javascript in which a stripped-down version of Linux is booted within the browser. Going to this site http :// bellard[dot]org/jslinux (I'm not allowed to post links yet) a graphical environment is started, so only a shell which is what you want, and you have a running Linux system. The shell display itself is rendered by HTML as far as I know. This is not a full-blown Linux with all the features of a native install of course, but you should have a decent number of commands ready at your hand and you can mess around with it as you like, since it runs only virtually in a browser tab. Thus there is no need for you to install anything not even a Firefox plugin, the site should work with other browsers too.

Give it a try and tell us, whether that works for you or not

Quote Originally Posted by oz View Post

There is also webminal.org which gives an online terminal but it might not meet all your needs.
    Hey OZ, Thanks for mentioning webminal I'm involved in that project for sometime now. The projected started along with fellow LFo members like Elija and Freston. We released version-1 long time back.
    Actually , I was looking to create new thread about it officially , after fixing few issues. May be some time later I'll post more about it
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org