Find the answer to your Linux question:
hy guys currently i am using windows7 but how longer i use windows how more i get tired of it. so i want to switch to linux but there are ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question switching to linux

hy guys currently i am using windows7 but how longer i use windows how more i get tired of it.

so i want to switch to linux but there are e few issues i have to make my desission to do it or not what i will nee to do on the machine

development PHP
    development JAVA
    editing Movies
    reading sending email
    browsing the net
    gaming (Battlefield 3(origin));
    counter strike(steam));

i think this wil not work on linux due the gaming issue i have tought about it to run this in virtualbox but that does not support Direcx support so could VMWare give me the solution?

and witch version of linux should you recoment to me?
    i have expirience with the linux command line since i work in a full linux enviroment at my work.

i have tested ubuntu,debian,mint,fedora out but wich one will do the job the best?

thanks in advance

Cooo... where to start?

Firstly, Linux has excellent development tools - I use Eclipse for PHP work, and it's also the daddy when it comes to Java development too.

I don't really edit movies, so I'm not well placed to recommend tools for that - perhaps others can chip in here.

For email, I use Thunderbird which is excellent, but I also use a webmail package called squirrelmail on my server which means I don't need to use a local mail client very often.

For web browsers, we're also very well supported in Linux. I use both Firefox and Chrome (depending on where I am and what I'm doing). They're both identical to their equivalents on other platforms. At the moment, I think Firefox is better, but that's my current choice - and it changes as they develop. There are plenty of others too.

As for gaming, I keep a commercial OS that I can dual boot into to play games, but I find that I hardly ever use it these days - I seem to be playing fewer games than ever.

VMWare works, but 3D support is limited And there are alternatives to it, but I'm not sure that the others do 3D acceleration very well either.

As for the best distribution to pick? There are plenty to choose from, and you've clearly tried all the major players already. You're better off picking the one you like the best. There is little difference between the top players in the distro marketplace, so your personal preference is king here. I use Fedora, but that's because I like it the most.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    Roxoff basically spoke for me. I have a few things to add though.

I dual boot, but steam has come into supporting Linux so I get to play my favorite game on Linux.

I use Fedora and love it, but if you are a complete beginner I would suggest Linux Mint.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    thanks guys for the quick reply , i will do some test with vmware and if it feeds the gaming i will install inside my linux machine and as you guys i like fedora also , i used to use ubuntu but since they changed the menu layout i do not like it anymore it quit anoying that menu on the side so my love goes to fedora

thanks for the information

Just Joined!
    If you want to do gaming, then dual-boot is the way to go. I haven't tried VMWare, but I've found that directx in Virtualbox is pretty sketchy.

When choosing a distro, people always say to try a bunch and pick the one you like best. That's the right answer.

Even though I don't use it much anymore, I gotta throw Antix out there. It's really cool if you like lightweight distro that's a perfect mix between having everything work out of the box and getting your hands dirty with configuring things to customize for yourself (if you're into that kind of thing).

These days, Mint seems to be the preferred out-of-the-box distro, but beware the recommendation to do a clean install at the end of each release's life-cycle. I don't want to be bothered with getting my system customized to my liking that often. Unless Mint has LTS relases?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by alain1988 View Post
    hy guys currently i am using windows7 but how longer i use windows how more i get tired of it.

so i want to switch to linux but there are e few issues i have to make my desission to do it or not what i will nee to do on the machine

development PHP
    development JAVA
    editing Movies
    reading sending email
    browsing the net
    gaming (Battlefield 3(origin));
    counter strike(steam));

i think this wil not work on linux due the gaming issue i have tought about it to run this in virtualbox but that does not support Direcx support so could VMWare give me the solution?

and witch version of linux should you recoment to me?
    i have expirience with the linux command line since i work in a full linux enviroment at my work.

i have tested ubuntu,debian,mint,fedora out but wich one will do the job the best?

thanks in advance
    I used Ubuntu Lucid, but when they went to the Unity interface, so I switched to Mint Maya. Steam is available, although not all the Steam games. VMWare, Virtual Box, and Wine may not work for hardware protection schemes, for example Securom, a reason for maintaining a PC or a PC partition. (Wine does support DirectX, but this won't help with the protection scheme.) Looking into PlayOnLinux could be informative if you are interested in games. POL contains information to make PC games run directly, since Wine is a rewrite of the Windows API.

As someone else said, whatever you are comfortable with is best. If you have friends using a version, I'd be tempted to pick what they pick, just to have someone local to bounce ideas off of.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacopag View Post
    Unless Mint has LTS relases?
    Mint Maya is an LTS based on Ubuntu Precise. Termination date is April 2017. Like you, I want to LONG term before I have to reload everything. When I converted from Lucid to Maya, it took me 6 days to get everything reloaded.

I'd say go with mint...and since nobody mentioned a movie editor, your best bet is probably kdenlive, though you won't find anything OSS/FOSS that can play on the same playing field as premiere or vegas. Rest of that stuff (less gaming) is easy.

For gaming, I dual boot. You *may* be able to get it to run through WINE, but I wouldn't count on it. Just looked at the WINE app db, you'll probably have no luck with COD but it seems CS runs quite well, you may see better performance there than Windows with a plat rating. Though honestly with the steam client prevalent on Ubuntu, I'd try using that first. I opt to dual boot for that once a month when I can play a game, haha.

Just Joined!
    Back in the day gaming for linux was next to impossible. Today a lot has changed. Steam is being ported to linux and the best news is that developers for steam are not doing it just to shut us up, they actually WANT to start providing support for linux and actually want to see linux become a major gaming platform. So over the upcoming months more and more games will support linux. I would recommend you continue to hang on to a Windows OS for gaming for a little bit longer. Using a VM will work or older games, but if you plan to play Crysis or Skyrim, forget it. You can try using WINE to play windows games but I honestly think it will leave you with more headaches than anything else.

For video editing I, unfortunately, am still very attached to the Mac application Final Cut Pro. I have tried several video editors for linux though and the ones that I found the best were kdenlive and pitivi. Fortunately since both are free, along with many many other editors, go download them and try them out, you have nothing to loose.

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan63 View Post
    Back in the day gaming for linux was next to impossible. Today a lot has changed. Steam is being ported to linux and the best news is that developers for steam are not doing it just to shut us up, they actually WANT to start providing support for linux and actually want to see linux become a major gaming platform. So over the upcoming months more and more games will support linux. I would recommend you continue to hang on to a Windows OS for gaming for a little bit longer....
    Yeah, these changes are really exciting. Glad to see some games coming to Linux native. Hopefully Blizzard gets on this at some point, their games make TONS of money. Also, they already have somewhat of a *nix structure in place because all their later games are for both OS X and Windows. I can really go for some Starcraft II on Linux!