Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok, I messed up. Had linux installed and working - decided i didn't like it. wanted to go back to windows os - so I found a screen that showed ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Totally messed up grub loading error 22.....would like to reformat???

Ok, I messed up. Had linux installed and working - decided i didn't like it. wanted to go back to windows os - so I found a screen that showed -FORMAT- so I pushed it..... it said I needed to restart to make changes so i restarted..... have not been able to do anything since. I get a screen that states:

GRUB loading, please wait...
    Error 22

I have been online looking for reboot options - says to push 0 while starting laptop - nothing happens, I do not believe that the reformat partition is left on the hard drive. I think it is all gone because when I installed linux i installed over top of the operating system I had, I did not keep both.

Now I have no idea what to do.... I even thought of just buying a different hard drive... but How would I format it if I cannot format this one......

Please help

cvarr

Linux Guru
    Reinstall Windows Bootloader to MBR before deleting Linux. Google would have told you that if you had bothered to look first before proceeding.

I have been online looking for reboot options - says to push 0 while starting laptop - nothing happens, I do not believe that the reformat partition is left on the hard drive. I think it is all gone because when I installed linux i installed over top of the operating system I had, I did not keep both.

Delete Linux partition and fix Windows MBR, Win7 | Windows Secrets Lounge

If you deleted/overwrote recovery partitions and Windows partitions the above won't work for you. If you did not make Windows recovery dvds then the above won't work for you.

So. Boot up a Linux live session on usb,dvd,or cd and open a terminal and paste the output from this command

Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    that is a lower case L after the dash.

Linux Guru
    When you format in Linux, you should see a warning indicating that all data on the partition(s) you are formatting will be lost. Formatting a partition will not remove Grub as part of the Grub bootloader files are on the master boot record which is not on any partition. That is why you still see Grub when you boot and also why you get the Grub Error 22 which means no such partition, you formatted it an there is nothing there, no boot files.

Are you trying to install some version of windows? Is that when you get the error? Are you using a valid windows CD/DVD and booting from the CD/DVD? You would not see the Grub error you are indicating if you boot from your CD/DVD drive as Grub is on the hard drive. Set the CD/DVD drive to first boot priority in the BIOS and try again.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close