Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm thinking of ordering a DVD of this distro but before I do I would like to know if it contains a dial up option for the Internet! Thanks!!...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Does PCLinuxOS LXDE have dial-up?

I'm thinking of ordering a DVD of this distro but before I do I would like to know if it contains a dial up option for the Internet!
    Thanks!!
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Lucky, I think I owe you a dvd or two. I'll send you a copy and you can try it out. Before I send it I'll check it out in a virtual machine to see if there are likely any problems for you.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

I just got an email from the folks there and they informed me that my 512MB of RAM is too small. I need to hit a lottery number so I can buy a new computer!! Thanks Rubberman!!
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Have a look at Sparky Linux. It's Debian Testing based so I don't know how comfortable you will be with that but the main edition should run in as little as 256MB Ram. A few other alternatives are Crunchbang (Debian stable), Zenwalk (Slackware) and Bodhi (Ubuntu) all of which should be fine in your memory.

Having said that, while the PCLOS LXDE edition recommends 1GB Ram, the site says it needs at least 384MB so it should be OK with your 512. Just give it at least 512MB swap space to compensate.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    Does some one have the answer to the original question here, I Am currently checking out the same PCLinuxOS- LXDE as well as KDE, and so far no luck on dial up connection, it would be good to know how to set up either or both.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by AnyOne View Post
    Does some one have the answer to the original question here, I Am currently checking out the same PCLinuxOS- LXDE as well as KDE, and so far no luck on dial up connection, it would be good to know how to set up either or both.
    ? View topic - Gnome PPP dialer setup issues PCLos 2010.12

? View topic - Can't get USB modem to work

RPM PCLinuxOS gnome-ppp 0.3.23 i586 rpm

I do not use a dial up modem or pclos.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    There is also vmdial info
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    The reason I'm looking for the easiest solution for dial up connections is, my dial up speed is a whopping 24 kb, being several miles down the wire even the regular 56kb is not available, and searching the web is like driving to the moon for a loaf of bread. top that off with a double dose of being linux challenged. tomorrow I'll be at the county llbrary and wi-fi, could my problem be, modem drivers, if so I will try to download them. I have ran live iso there with no issues. Would installing PCLOS let the kppp installer work, or will it work running live usb.
    Thanks for the help here, I am processing it but my skill level requires me to make lots of errors.