Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gregm
Hello, I would like to know if there is a way to export variables in bc to be read in bash in the terminal? An how to export variables from ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

bc calculator

Hello, I would like to know if there is a way to export variables in bc to be read in bash in the terminal? An how to export variables from bash in the terminal to bc?
    Thank you for any help you can give.

Linux Guru
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    let a=3
    let b=4

bc <<EOS
    $a*$b
    EOS

#or

echo "$a*$b" | bc

#both

read c <<EOS
    $(echo "$a*$b" | bc)
    EOS

echo "$c"
    amayamartin82 likes this.

Just Joined!
    gregm I want to thank you for your rapid reply to my post. Your answer does pass the value, 12=3*4, to the terminal, but does not pass the variable and it's value to bash. Like the export command can pass the variable=value to sh from bash. I am trying to get a bc variable=value into bash and then save it to a file with the redirection output, > .
    Last edited by heican; 03-10-2014 at 07:10 PM. Reason: improve meaning

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    gregm“s answer is correct and complete.
    Look at the variable $c.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Just Joined!

answer to guestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Irithori View Post
    gregm“s answer is correct and complete.
    Look at the variable $c.
    lrithori Yes the value is echoed to my bash terminal. But at the prompt that follows when I echo $c I get a black $c variable. But with the help from you and gregm I learned that I can within the script file redirect echo $c output to a file. An this was what I was looking for. I thank you both for the help! An can not believe how fast my question was answered.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by heican View Post
    lrithori Yes the value is echoed to my bash terminal. But at the prompt that follows when I echo $c I get a black $c variable. But with the help from you and gregm I learned that I can within the script file redirect echo $c output to a file. An this was what I was looking for. I thank you both for the help! An can not believe how fast my question was answered.
    Even I was helped by that, as by reading the third post (the answer by gregm) left me with some doubt. Thanks guys for sharing the information.

Just Joined!
    gregm I want to thank you for your rapid reply to my post. Your answer does pass the value, 12=3*4, to the terminal, but does not pass the variable and it's value to bash. Like the export command can pass the variable=value to sh from bash.