Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, Newbie just switching from XP. Loaded this OS on my PC and laptop. The laptop is working fine. The PC has a problem. I have a dual boot with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can't log in to PCLinuxOS MATE

Hi, Newbie just switching from XP. Loaded this OS on my PC and laptop. The laptop is working fine. The PC has a problem. I have a dual boot with XP, but no problem there. I have two users and can't get into either one. The log-in screen does not accept keyboarding, and there are no questions as before (name and password). All I can do is restart, and the same thing happens again. Any suggestions? Do I need to reload the program? This is my first attempt at Linux and I am pretty ignorant about this. (P.S. the only thing I am aware of that I changed before the problem was I loaded my Xmarks bookmarks into my Firefox, but that doesn't seem likely to have affected the log-in.) Thanks for any help!

Hi harvwald! Welcome to Linuxforums and to PCLinuxOS!

About your problem, i suspect that you didn't set up a root user (name and password) when you installed PCLinuxOS on your PC. i suspect you might be able to "fix" it by using the install disk, but i'm not familiar enough with the process. The "easiest" thing might be to just reinstall, making sure that at the end of the install process, you create your root password and well as your personal account (name and password).

Hope this helps - i saw you over there on the PCLinuxOS forums as well. Have a great morning!

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your reply. There is something to what you are saying. During the installation, one of the defaults I checked told me I couldn't have a password with that response. I clicked OK. Later I did establish a root password and was able to use it for making changes to the display. But I'm wondering if that first message I got confirms what you wrote. I'll wait to see if anyone else comes up with anything, and if not I'll reinstall as you suggested. Now I guess I have to find out how to reinstall! Thanks again for your suggestion.

Linux Guru
    During the installation, one of the defaults I checked told me I couldn't have a password with that response
    I'm not sure what 'response' you are referring to? I've been using PCLinuxOS for four years and have installed it several times. You should always be asked to create a password for the root user as well as to create a general user with a password. You can later set it to passwordless login if you want. I don't have the Mate desktop but on every release of PCLinux I have used, if you boot to a GUI, it will show the user names on screen and have a box in which to type that user password once you have selected a user. This includes the root user.

Just Joined!
    You are right, yancek. I just reinstalled PCLOS and have the same problem. it did allow me to create a root user and password, too. What I wasn't able to do was create a password to use GRUB with graphical menu. Anyway, on the reinstall, I first changed the screen size to 600 x 800, then rebooted. I get the GRUB interface and then the user page, but there is no text next to the box that usually asks for user name and password. There is only a small faint horizontal line next to the box. I am not able to enter any text into the box with my keyboard. I have had none of these problems on my laptop, which accepted PCLOS nicely. Any other suggestions???

Linux Guru
    What I wasn't able to do was create a password to use GRUB with graphical menu.
    I'm not sure what you are referring to here. You can create a Grub password as well as a system user password?? If this computer had xp, it might be old. How old is the computer? How much RAM do you have? Do you know what video card you have?

Generally when booting, you will see the Grub menu and after making a selection or hitting the Enter key, you would see a graphical background with a progress bar at the bottom and then get to the login screen where your user name should be displayed and you should have an entry box in which to put your password. Maybe the Mate version doesn't have it but I would expect it to be there.

Just Joined!
    Thanks, yancek. Yes, the computer is old - 12 years. I was hoping to be able to use it for about another 6 months, until I buy a new one. My partition is just 6.6 GB for Linux. Maybe that isn't enough? (It was the amount selected by the installation program.) The PC is a Pentium 4 CPU 1.90 GHz, 1.50 Gb of RAM. The video card is Nvidia GeForce 3 Ti 200. I'm wondering if I should replace the PCLOS with the light version of Mint. Any thoughts on this?
    I do see the Grub menu and graphical background, etc., that you mentioned. I do have the entry box for the password (yes, Mate has that). BUT I can't type in the box, and the questions that normally appear there (Name, Password) are missing - there is a little horizontal line it ints place.

Linux Guru
    You don't indicate whether you have the standard PCLinuxOS with KDE. If so, see the link below for more details. Recommends 10GB for the system but I doubt that is necessary. Also recommends 4GB RAM but 1GB should work.

http://www.pclinuxos.com/get-pclinuxos/kde/

You could also try the LXDE version of PCLinuxOS, much lighter weight and lower requirements. See the link below or try Mint.

http://www.pclinuxos.com/get-pclinuxos/lxde/

Just Joined!
    I have MATE. I think I have enough to run that, but maybe not. The LXDE is a good suggestion. If that doesn't work, I'll try Mint. If that doesn't work, I'll give up and buy the new iMac, which is what I'd really like to do (but so $$$ !). Thanks for all your help.

Just Joined!
    Update in case anyone else has a similar issue: Twice I reloaded PCLOS, and continued to have the problem. It then occurred to me to reload using the DVD I had created which I had used to install PCLOS on my laptop; I had been using a CD I had created to load the OS on my PC. Now all is good again. The only strange thing is the boot up screen now has a few new choices, such as altPCLinuxOS and alt2PCLinuxOS. I think those must be the previous installations I tried to write over -- hope that's not going to be a problem. Anyway, so far, so good. I am going with just one user, and one Mozilla Firefox app, in case I was straining the resources of the program. I'm also thinking perhaps the CD was corrupt, although that wouldn't explain why the program worked fine initially, then broke down. I hope someone finds this helpful.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast