Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

bug: unclear entry for CLI prompt while installing or logout-to-login

Since I can't submit a bug report, perhaps it'll be seen if it's here.

Installation of the 2016 FullMonty edition from the live DVD waited at a CLI prompt without explanation. After PCLinuxOS requested a login and I presumed that should be root and that the password would be what it was on the optical disc, more significantly it then gave a prompt without saying what it wanted there. If help is available at that point, that's not clear. I entered startx and that seems to have been correct; however, I'm fairly geeky and that seemed a reasonable guess, but many users wouldn't know. The same issue occurred after installation when I logged out of root from the GUI; the CLI prompted for an unspecified entry and startx turned out to be the likely entry. If that was right, I suggest inserting a line immediately before the prompt line saying something like, "At the following prompt enter: startx" (without quotation marks), which should be in the same color (red?) as the prompt line. If it can't appear just before the prompt line, then put it in a flowerbox before the login request or, if a wrong entry is user-supplied at the prompt, make it part of your prompt-entry-rejection message.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Depending upon the runlevel your system is set to, it may only give you CLI login screens. I'm not sure about PCLinuxOS, but most systems that is runlevel 5 to get a GUI login. Look at /etc/inittab.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

So you have been using Linux for 4 days and already found 6 bugs.
    congratulations.
    the only reply you will get here are half-baked attempts to help (half-baked because you are not providing enough information, and because your "bug:..." titles suggest you are a complainer) and snide remarks like mine.

if you really want some help with your problem, re-think your attitude and re-phrase your initial problem.

if you really think you found a bug, do this:
    1. find out if it's a bug with the software installed, or with pclinuxos. in other words, find out where the bug report has to go.
    2. open an account with the bug tracker in question and file the bug. with all required attachments.

in either case, read this:
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    @Rubberman: Interesting, and I plan to check </etc/inittab>, but most of us during an OS installation shouldn't deviate from what the installer presents or expects. Thus, this is about telling users explicitly what to do next at each step.

@nihili: Your post seems to be identical to your post at "bug: screen redraw seems bad after print screen", to which I replied there.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I don't disagree about just going through the installation as it is presented, but some systems will not set up the installation for GUI logins by default, especially server systems. Since startx works, you know that Xorg and your GUI is installed, but it may not default to that. Hence my previous suggestion about /etc/inittab.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

/etc/inittab specifies runlevel 5 for X11. During the latest reinstallation, I think I typed startx again, so I'm okay, and I think one noncomment line in inittab probably reflects my choice. I still think the installation screen should tell users what to type when it waits at that stage, as many won't know and adding a few lines in a flowerpot is probably almost trivial to do.