Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

bug: reboot during install stopped

I can't submit a bug report, so perhaps it'll be seen if it's here.

During installation of the 2016 FullMonty edition, when the system said to restart and retrieve the live disc, I commanded the restart and got a CLI scrolling. When it reached "The system is going down for reboot NOW!", nothing more happened for at least five minutes. The tray refused to open and the CLI didn't mention it. The Enter key twice produced only "acpid: client 6138[0:0] has disconnected" (including brackets). The Escape key produced "^[". Tapping the power key produced "The system is going down for reboot NOW!" 13 minutes after the prior such message, which was followed by four INIT messages, the last of which was "INIT: Pid 18799 (id 16) seems to hang", after which nothing happened. (I should have looked up that PID but forgot to.) Tapping power again got the ". . . reboot NOW!" message again, 6 minutes after the prior such. A four-second power button press was the solution, but that's probably not the restart PCLinuxOS instructed.

This is on a refurbished Dell Latitude E6400 laptop and PCLinuxOS installation included overwriting everything already on the hard drive, which is what I wished.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    1. Hold down the power button to do a full stop of the system.
    2. Start the system and boot into the BIOS.
    3. Open the CD tray and insert the live disc.
    4. Continue to boot to the HD (not the live disc).
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Not doable. Step 1 is what I did (that was the four-second press). But this was during installation, so booting on a single-boot system from the live disc into the HDD, if that's possible, would get me either the OS I'm erasing or no OS at all.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    So you have been using Linux for 4 days and already found 6 bugs.
    congratulations.
    the only reply you will get here are half-baked attempts to help (half-baked because you are not providing enough information, and because your "bug:..." titles suggest you are a complainer) and snide remarks like mine.

if you really want some help with your problem, re-think your attitude and re-phrase your initial problem.

if you really think you found a bug, do this:
    1. find out if it's a bug with the software installed, or with pclinuxos. in other words, find out where the bug report has to go.
    2. open an account with the bug tracker in question and file the bug. with all required attachments.

in either case, read this:
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Your post seems to be identical to your post at "bug: screen redraw seems bad after print screen", to which I replied there.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Levinson View Post
    Not doable. Step 1 is what I did (that was the four-second press). But this was during installation, so booting on a single-boot system from the live disc into the HDD, if that's possible, would get me either the OS I'm erasing or no OS at all.
    Well, upon occasion I have had to retry the installation of a distribution from scratch. PITA, but sometimes it works. I might go ahead and get an ISO of PCLinuxOS and install that into a virtual machine to see if I can recreate some of your errors. I'll let you know, but don't hold your breath!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

No such problem this time during a reinstall. I don't know how it cured itself, but I'm happy.