Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Control Center won't open in recovery root GUI

The Control Center refuses to open in the 2016 FullMonty recovery mode (maintenance) root GUI, which is the only root all-service GUI access I have. The Control Center icon dances in the bottom panel for about 10 rounds before it disappears. To access the Control Center, I have to log in as a nonroot user, open the Control Center, and authenticate myself as root. I should be able to use the Control Center while in recovery root.

Is there a solution to this or is it a bug?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Most systems these days limit direct root access and require an authorized (sudo) user, or will request the user to input the root password to access root processes such as this. Not sure about PCLinuxOS as I never use it.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Control Center (Configure Your Computer) now opens in root in GUI in both regular and maintenance modes. Double-reinstallation via another OS (http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/pcl...tml#post979745) seems to have solved this.

I usually find su or sudo does not give full root access through a GUI, especially when a nonroot password is accepted, when full access should be denied anyway.

Thanks.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close