Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

bug: screen redraw seems bad after print screen

The top window turned strange colors, got vertical stripes, and was barely readable after I used Print Screen and closed the screenshot window. I don't recall if I made a screenshot on that laptop before this, but I did not have that problem with other operating systems on another laptop. In this case, when I clicked somewhere in that top window but not in the text area, the text area cleared up. I did something else, the screen blacked out, and when I restored the screen view the window lost its strange colors and stripes, so I can't give you a screenshot of the effect. I guess this is a screen redraw problem that initially makes text hard to read. The hardware is a refurbished Dell Latitude E6400 laptop. I can't submit a bug report directly but hopefully this will be seen. As a bug, it's probably not critical to operations except for newbies.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Try running another distribution from a live dvd, or a different GUI desktop (I'm not sure what PCLinuxOS uses) to see if you have the same problem with them. I would suspect the desktop GUI to be the culprit here given your description of the entire thread.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

So you have been using Linux for 4 days and already found 6 bugs.
    congratulations.
    the only reply you will get here are half-baked attempts to help (half-baked because you are not providing enough information, and because your "bug:..." titles suggest you are a complainer) and snide remarks like mine.

if you really want some help with your problem, re-think your attitude and re-phrase your initial problem.

if you really think you found a bug, do this:
    1. find out if it's a bug with the software installed, or with pclinuxos. in other words, find out where the bug report has to go.
    2. open an account with the bug tracker in question and file the bug. with all required attachments.

in either case, read this:
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I haven't had time to test Rubberman's suggestion yet and hope to soon but nihili's post warrants a reply.

I've been using Linux for a couple of years give or take as my main OS type for personal use and on and off before that, not just for four days. My experience is with openSuse, several versions of Fedora, and, in the past, Knoppix, Caldera, and Hal91 and probably a few others I've forgotten. It is this particular distro, PCLinuxOS, that I only recently installed. Bugs turn up in almost any complicated thing; I support OSS, so I do something about it, namely, I report some bugs, which means I volunteer my time to help with OSS by so reporting, with the result of sometimes contributing to improvements in OSS. As I noted in one of the threads, I did register at that distro's site (I assume you didn't know that bug tracking is done at their forum and not separately) but my registration was closed without explanation and all my threads were deleted (all of which are now here with almost identical content), and I have emailed that forum twice without reply, so to apply again (the process includes emailing a request) might seem to them to be hassling them. As far as I can tell, my threads complied with their terms, which I read before applying to register.

I appreciate the assistance on this forum. Some looks helpful. I'm taking the time to deal with all of this.

I did find these bugs and, since the PCLinuxOS organization did refuse the bug reports, I reported in a relevant alternative place, which is here. This is a widespread custom. We give the direct management the first crack at acting on a bug, especially for security holes where it may be done privately, but if they decline or ignore the chance then we report elsewhere, publicly, sometimes resulting in the management acting on the bug after all and anyway giving others a heads-up so they can adapt their own machines and practices. This was often the case when the buggy software was Microsoft's, but if PCLinuxOS has bugs (and they don't have disproportionately many), for all of us to stay silent about them means we fail to help them clean up or improve their software, and most major distros want to improve, including to widen their installed bases and thus their support communities, so that reporting things that don't bother the deepest geeks but make usage harder for mortals helps both camps. Widening usage and support is why we have GUIs and they needn't compromise underlying quality.

I described 6 bugs. Four are about installation. There's no point to spreading them out to report, say, one per month when that might result in advice to try it again because time had passed, especially since for four of them that would require reinstalling the whole OS only as a test. It's more helpful to be timely in describing the bugs so developers can see the reports in time for possible updates, even if it means six at once.

The page at Eric Raymond's site (to which you linked) is interesting, but, while it is unusually long, it says not so much that I didn't already know. However, I have found that detailing or even just listing all of the steps I already took to solve a problem, such as multiple tests and prior online research, tends to be off-putting to most potential respondents; if they respond, they miss that I already said something that would have changed their response, an issue noted in Eric's page. I try to demonstrate that I know something about the subject and my case without being too dense to searchers who don't know the lingo or all the concepts. In other words, I try to be helpful. The page also recommends some Stack Overflow sites. I've found that people intervene to claim the question has already been answered elsewhere when it has not and I had the experience of asking a question, someone replying with a question for me, and Stack Overflow not allowing an answer to the question, because their format said no to that. Stack Overflow is okay for researching through Google, as are many other forums, but it is not helpful for asking.

I do tend toward being precise. This is a problem for some people. I don't have a good and consistent solution for that.

I see about not saying "bug" in the subject line when I did exactly that, a bunch of times. However, while at least two other distros and many other projects have separate bug sites, PCLinuxOS does not, but takes reports in the same forum where they take usage questions. I didn't see a convention for that case, so I wrote "bug" in the subject line. I wish I was competent enough to also write a patch, but usually I'm not, even for documentation, so I limit what I offer to what I know how to do, namely report it, I leave deciding on and developing a patch to others, and that's how most bug systems work and are intended to work.

I'd also add something to Eric's advice. I have a custom of coming back to report my own error. That's provided I made a material error, not simply because someone criticized me. People's time is often short, but acknowledging one's own errors is helpful.

Eric's essay also included two links that I followed, one on tact (useful) and one on reporting bugs. The latter opens a debate on whether to include speculations along with facts. A study some years ago found that when medical patients visited doctors and presented symptoms and the doctors weren't sure about the diagnosis that the patients' self-diagnoses were right about 75% of the time. When I was responsible for an office's computers and other physical matters, I had no problem with someone, even a newbie, suggesting causes. Often, they were wrong. But it's harmless and sometimes helpful to offer them. I remember one (about electrical wiring) that was novel and led me to think about how it could be true. But those speculations, I think, never slowed down my ability to solve the problem. And I was a volunteer.

You're right that some answers on fora are almost useless. That's just the price of turning to forums. A large percentage of answers are quite helpful, justifying using fora when self-help isn't enough.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    A thoughtful post Nick. Welcome to the Linux Forums. Maybe Nihili will give you a break now?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

I couldn't replicate the problem. Some combination of circumstances did it but I don't remember enough for reproduction. I tried root and nonroot user accounts in the KDE GUI. Maybe it involved certain windows but I don't recall which ones. It didn't involve the other desktops. I won't pursue this further.