Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

clean reformat/overwrite installation option seems to be missing

Not certain, but it appears that reinstalling PCLinuxOS (KDE4 FullMonty) (*-2016.03.iso) does not include a way to wipe out everything that came before and reinstall everything cleanly, if that PCLinuxOS edition was already on the same drive. I'd had a problem (http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/pcl...-contexts.html) and reinstalling did not solve it. But, for an unrelated reason, I reinstalled PC-BSD 10.3, which has a different filesystem (not ext[n]), and then I reinstalled the PCLinuxOS edition, both for single-boot configurations, and that fixed the problem (http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/pcl...tml#post979745). So it looks like reinstalling the PCLinuxOS edition preserves the filesystem and some or all files already present. There was an option to allocate hard drive space and I tried that to support dual-boot but PC-BSD didn't leave enough room so I didn't use that option and that's not an option to reformat ext[n] or overwrite old contents. Not overwriting can be a time-saver but, if I'm right, I suggest a feature to permit complete replacement regardless of what's already present. I'm aware of fdisk and similar programs and DBAN but the extra step shouldn't be needed if fdisk-like capability is already in the installation media and it likely is; we just should be offered the option during installation.

I don't have authorization to suggest this at PCLinuxOS's own website, so I'm doing it here. To reproduce the issue, someone has to install PCLinuxOS onto a hard drive, then reinstall PCLinuxOS (to see that there's no complete reformat or overwrite option available), then install an OS that uses an incompatible non-ext[n] filesystem in single-boot mode, and then install PCLinuxOS in single-boot mode onto the same drive (reformat/overwrite will be done by both OSes).

I think you are missing some option during installation procedure because installer of every single OS gives three basic options.
    * Make space for new OS ( Shrink existing partitions or use un-partitioned/free space)
    * Over-right existing OS (entire disk or selective partitions)
    * Upgrade existing OS ( if you are going to install newer/same version of already installed OS ).

If you try to install newer/same version of OS, installers always gives Upgrade/fix existing install option first.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

I tried again and this time got that choice, when I started to reinstall PCLinuxOS where I already have the same PCLinuxOS edition. I don't remember seeing it before but if it's my error that I didn't see it before and the choice is normally offered, that's good enough.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close