Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trouble Booting

Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Trouble Booting

l have a laptop that had been running Ubuntu 14.04LTS for a couple of years,but then a few weeks ago it wouldn't boot and all I got was a blank screen with a blinking underscore.As I'm only at beginner level rather than look for fixes I thought it would be a good opportunity to try another Linux version.I've got several on disc and USB.Unfortunately the first disc I picked up was PC Linux it loaded and booted OK until I tried to shut it down then it just runs command lines then hangs and I have to use the power button.I think my big mistake was not checking before I used the disc which is a 32 bit version (which I've found now is no longer supported)
    I've tried a few other Linux versions but the only one I can get to load is a Puppy Linux USB.I've tried Lubuntu and Peppermint discs (which is running fine on the netbook I'm using now).When I try it on my laptop I get to the opening screen select:Try without loading but as soon as I press to select I get the blinking underscore,this happens with Lubuntu,Porteus,Xubuntu and several others on disc and USB.Is there anything I can do in PC Linux that will fix the bootloader so that I can run Peppermint?

Hi
    thank you for the question.
    A) I have had the blinking screen of death myself and it was USUALLY, but not always, a hardware situation.
    B) PCLinux is ....ok..........but it has real problems down in the dungeons with Matilda of just doing anything that is not on very "plain vanilla" hardware.
    C) the absolute best option is to install straight Ubuntu, I KNOW you may not like the GUI or WHATever....but it will be the most likely to actually install and give you a workable system.
    D) Come back with a complet and specific description about your HARDWARE....
    E) after than then someone much smarter than me can possibly help you.
    F) the mere fact that you ASKED courteously is a BIG PLUS!!
    woodsmoke

Quote Originally Posted by woodsmoke View Post
    Hi
    thank you for the question.
    A) I have had the blinking screen of death myself and it was USUALLY, but not always, a hardware situation.
    B) PCLinux is ....ok..........but it has real problems down in the dungeons with Matilda of just doing anything that is not on very "plain vanilla" hardware.
    C) the absolute best option is to install straight Ubuntu, I KNOW you may not like the GUI or WHATever....but it will be the most likely to actually install and give you a workable system.
    D) Come back with a complet and specific description about your HARDWARE....
    E) after than then someone much smarter than me can possibly help you.
    F) the mere fact that you ASKED courteously is a BIG PLUS!!
    woodsmoke
    I always try to be as polite as possible I did think at first of a hardware glitch but if there was one surely I wouldn't be able to boot a live version of Puppy that works well.I've tried loading the linux versions from different USBs,the onboard DVD and by connecting a stand alone version.It gets to the start screen.then when I press enter rather than load,just that blinking underscore again.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I ended up only being able to get Puppy Linux 6.06 to boot and decided to do a full install,fingers crossed it seems to be working well.Very different experience after years of Lubuntu and Ubuntu OS.Oddly after checking the hard drive with Gparted and the install going smoothly I did try to boot a live version of Peppermint 7 and it was back to the blinking underscore??

Sounds like your hard drive is bad. The linux distros that run on usb would not be affected by a failed hard drive.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by William_Plessinger View Post
    Sounds like your hard drive is bad. The linux distros that run on usb would not be affected by a failed hard drive.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Even after a full install to the hard drive.? checked the hard drive with Gparted and they all read clear......very odd.

Quote Originally Posted by frenchy View Post
    l have a laptop that had been running Ubuntu 14.04LTS for a couple of years,but then a few weeks ago it wouldn't boot and all I got was a blank screen with a blinking underscore.As I'm only at beginner level rather than look for fixes I thought it would be a good opportunity to try another Linux version.
    It would be better to try to fix your original installation ... it the original Ubuntu still installed? do you have the CD/DVD/USB pen drive to re-install this?
    Did you do an update on the system which stopped it working? did you have a problem where an application stopped working and you just had to power down the system?

Is your computer a 32 bit or 64 bit system ?

The original Ubuntu was formatted when I did the full install of Puppy.Fixing it was the first thing I tried,I must have 5/6 Linux versions on disc and usb.PC Linux just happened to be the first disc that would boot and load.Stupidly I hadn't checked if 32 bit was still supported.I tried burning a boot load repair disc but no luck.Puppy is running OK now (fingers crossed).Can't remember how long Ubuntu ran before it failed or when it last updated.Just really odd that Gparted didn't recognise any hard drive faults and Puppy booted and loaded and yet discs of Peppermint7 and Lubuntu 14.04LTS won't boot into live mode

I do not think you told us if you have a 32 bit or 64 bit processor (check the output of
    Code:
    cat /proc/cpuinfo
    if you are unsure), if you have a 64 bit processor you can run either a 32 bit or 64 bit version of a distro - if you have a 32 bit processor you must use the 32 bit version.
    Quite a few distros have started dropping support for 32 bit processors, but it looks as though 16.04 at least still supports both.
    I have not used Puppy Linux, last time I looked a few years ago I think it was supposed to be used as a live CD but it looks as though things have moved on and there are options to install it these days.

-->
    It's 32 bit so loading PC Linux without doing my homework was a real gaff.Puppy seems to be running well at the moment.The only problem I've experienced is that I did the install using a usb version that I has encrypted and password protected,yet during installation there was no option to enter a password and looking around various sites there doesn't seem to be an option to adding one retrospectively.