Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

PCLOS and Grub...

I wanted to try PCLOS so I burned two versions and tried to install them to an old HD. Both of them went into error when trying to write the GRUB routine at the end of the install routine. This was a big surprise and it's not the fault of any of my hardware. I tried two different computers and two different hard drives. I know how to do GRUB manually but I don't want to have to wade into such things. I'm sticking with plain old Debian. I just want to say how disappointed I am. In other areas I like what PCLOS is doing.

No response necessary...

I've used PCLOS for many years, and like everything you do run into the odd install issue. Even though the hardware may be fine, there can still be config issues depending on how stuff has been set up, and how you run the install.

Did you try the usual stuff like setting the boot to legacy in BIOS, to try without EFI? Also, when partitioning, making sure that the partition types are correct... in that I had no issues when doing a UEFI boot, but only if I let the installer do the partitioning - this because I didn't realise that you needed a separate partition for the EFI system, off /boot/efi. When I got it wrong the system didn't boot. I chickened out and went with legacy in the one case... then put in the effort to figure out EFI modes.

I have also had a few times when it was better to place the boot pointer in the partion instead of the MBR etc., depending on how the boot was to be done if there was another OS present too. But I guess from your wording that you were not dual-booting?

And lastly, I've just in fact setup the new PCLOS on a spare laptop at work, to test the upgrade process for our test jigs. I found that the install ran better with regards to partitioning if I selected the install option directly from the boot menu, rather than booting to the live distro, and then choosing to install from the live distro GUI. Maybe something to try too?

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by sarlacii View Post
    I've used PCLOS for many years, and like everything you do run into the odd install issue. Even though the hardware may be fine, there can still be config issues depending on how stuff has been set up, and how you run the install.

Did you try the usual stuff like setting the boot to legacy in BIOS, to try without EFI? Also, when partitioning, making sure that the partition types are correct... in that I had no issues when doing a UEFI boot, but only if I let the installer do the partitioning - this because I didn't realise that you needed a separate partition for the EFI system, off /boot/efi. When I got it wrong the system didn't boot. I chickened out and went with legacy in the one case... then put in the effort to figure out EFI modes.

I have also had a few times when it was better to place the boot pointer in the partion instead of the MBR etc., depending on how the boot was to be done if there was another OS present too. But I guess from your wording that you were not dual-booting?

And lastly, I've just in fact setup the new PCLOS on a spare laptop at work, to test the upgrade process for our test jigs. I found that the install ran better with regards to partitioning if I selected the install option directly from the boot menu, rather than booting to the live distro, and then choosing to install from the live distro GUI. Maybe something to try too?

Good luck!

I am installing PCLOS Mate on a ten year old Lenovo Thinkpad that has been Linux only since I've owned it. I used Gparted (I always use Puppy linux when I want to be root) and formatted almost the entire HD to ext4 and a little for Swap then ran the live DVD for testing. Then I ran the installer, from the setup menu, not from within the live OS. Everything was fine until the last routine where I got a GRUB error. The installer worked flawlessly. I like it. I tried the same thing with PCLOS KDE version. Another GRUB error. My laptop is legacy BIOS only. Could it be that this edition of PCLOS expects to see UEFI and requires that special partition for the boot code? If so I can try again.

Any ideas?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Can you post the grub error that you get? It could be a UEFI issue I suppose, but the installer detects what you have. Instead I suspect a partition issue, with gparted doing something that grub doesn't like. When you do the install, do you say use existing partitions, or do you let the installer reformat as required. I'm guessing the former, as you mentioned making swap space?

An idea is to do the install, and let the installer reformat the whole drive, even if the result is not what you want, but just to test it works.

Quote Originally Posted by sarlacii View Post
    Can you post the grub error that you get? It could be a UEFI issue I suppose, but the installer detects what you have. Instead I suspect a partition issue, with gparted doing something that grub doesn't like. When you do the install, do you say use existing partitions, or do you let the installer reformat as required. I'm guessing the former, as you mentioned making swap space?

An idea is to do the install, and let the installer reformat the whole drive, even if the result is not what you want, but just to test it works.

I would have to copy the error message manually. It was about 12 lines. Or maybe take a photo of it. Before doing that I will try the install once again. I'll format to NTFS and let the installer do what it wants automatically. Thanks for the help. I'm fussy as hell with 'puters. Back in 82 when everyone was buying Commodores and Apple II's I learned Basic and had lots of fun. Now, at almost 76 I'm having lots of fun again. A little GUI and a little terminal is the way I like it. I installed Arch but use it for learning only. I mess it up all the time but that's what I call fun.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by trailertrash View Post
    I'll format to NTFS
    NTFS is not suitable for linux installs.
    choose ext4.

Quote Originally Posted by nihili View Post
    NTFS is not suitable for linux installs.
    choose ext4.
    Yeah I know. I'm going to let the installer format however it wants.

Still trying to find a way to copy and paste that error message.

I tried the install on another old computer of mine. Dell Optiplex 780. Same thing happened. The very same Grub error.

I downloaded from the PCLOS website. I've been toying with Linux since 95 and never had this much trouble.

Ha ha, that's how it goes sometimes - smooth sailing for ages, then wham! The next challenge. Good luck!

-->
    Here is a copy of the error message that I keep getting when I install PCLOS. It happens with both Mate and KDE versions. I am using my Dell Opti plex 780. Intel 8400 series with 4 GB ram. Over the years I have never had any trouble installing Grub before on this 'puter. I also tried downloading and burning the ISO again. The error is consistant.

The only way I can get it to boot is to install another distro next to it then the other GRUB detects PCLOS and I can choose at boot. I don't like Mickey Mousing things though. I'd rather understand what's going on. Trouble is I don't know enough and that irritates the hell out of me.

I see something in the error message about a "mkpasswd...(etc)". Password? I did not know GRUB used a password. What is this all about?

Thanks for any help...

The "draklive-install" program has crashed with the following error:

open2: exec of /mnt/install/bin/grub2-mkpasswd-pbkdf2 failed at /usr/lib/libDrakX/bootloader.pm line 1827.
    ...propagated at /usr/lib/libDrakX/any.pm line 267.
    Perl's trace:
    drakbug::bug_handler() called from /usr/lib/libDrakX/any.pm:267
    any::installBootloader() called from /usr/lib/libDrakX/any.pm:237
    any::setupBootloaderUntilInstalled() called from /usr/sbin/draklive-install:340
    main::setup_bootloader() called from /usr/sbin/draklive-install:71
    main::install_live() called from /usr/sbin/draklive-install:43

Used theme: Blue-Submarine

Please report this to the PCLinuxOS forum.