Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a CD with both "live" and "install" versions of PCLinuxOS. When I attempt to do installation, get as far as "Disk Format - Step 4" and things grind ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Help With Installation of PCLinuxOS

I have a CD with both "live" and "install" versions of PCLinuxOS.

When I attempt to do installation, get as far as "Disk Format - Step 4" and things grind to a halt !!

There are three "actions" shown.

1) Disk Format = Elapsed & remaining time are ALWAYS EXACTLY the same.
    2) Disk Copy = Never gets off "zero".
    3) Overall Progress = Elapsed time appears "normal" BUT "Remaining Time" IS INCREASING !!!

Could use A LOT of help here.

Are you installing it in safe-mode or from the Icon on the desktop when you run the live CD? I have never tried the safe-mode before but I know the installation icon works pretty well. Just make sure you have a partition for Linux with swap space as well...

netstrider,

Thanks for response.

I used the "install icon" on the desktop when I got the "results" I listed in original posting.
    I ended up installing Mandrake 9.0 instead of PCLinuxOS !!!

Since my "homebilt" desktop is about 5 years old [with 5 year old hardware - mobo Abit KT7A RAID & CPU AMD 1900+ 1.6 GHz] I tend to favor "older" distros.

On my 3 HD's beside 2 copies of Win98SE, I currently have Red Hat 8.0 & Mandrake 9.0. These are almost the last of the "free versions" before these companies went "commercial" [and replaced by Fedora & Mandiva]

Thanks again, OB