Find the answer to your Linux question:

Thread: PCLinuxOS 0.92

Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

PCLinuxOS 0.92

I followed the install instructions that you get on the live cd and when you choose how much space to allocate for the install (I think it's the first stage - partitioning), it recommends about 5gig, but also recommends that you may want to allocate more if you want to add more applications. I ignored this being tired and it being late and should have allocated a lot more, as now I am having problems transferring files from another pc as it says I've only got about 1.8gig of free space left.

How do I now increase the storage space?? I know this might sound stupid to a lot of experienced users but I don't have to re-install do I ?

BTW this is an 80gig hdd I have installed on.

Hello Petergriffin

I've never used that distro, but I hear it's very good! If it was me I would grab a copy of Knoppix - which as you might know is a live cd - boot it up and open a terminal. Become root in Knoppix and start up QTParted. That should allow you to resize your partition.

Personally I hate resizing because it rarely ends up the way I want it, but it shouldn't do any harm in practice. There might be another way, and if so I hope you get the answer you need.

I know PC-Whassit has its own partitioning tools built in, but you can't resize anything that's already mounted. I have the same trouble with Mandriva, but plenty of room to work with.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Thank you fingal! I have a copy of knoppix somewhere, so I'll dig it out and give it a go

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close