Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have installed pclinuxos 94 tr3 on my western digital usb book, but it will not boot from there. i have on my internal hdd windows xp and i don`t ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

pclinuxos 94 can not boot from external usb hdd

I have installed pclinuxos 94 tr3 on my western digital usb book, but it will not boot from there.
    i have on my internal hdd windows xp and i don`t want to touch it, so I want mandriva nad pclinuxos on my western digital usb hdd and also boot them from there. Is this possible or maybe not?

Just Joined!

loader

your bios is most likely set to boot to hhd

you could see if it lets u boot from usb device/// and change this each time or/// you need a loader like GRUB to sit in your MBR to give you the option to boot xp or linux.

NEXT would be the fun part setting up GRUB and it's config file to do this!!!

you can download GRUB if you don't have it.
    also partition magic has a loader
    and there is lilo too.. ///////////////////////////////////////

Quote Originally Posted by ilanesh
    I have installed pclinuxos 94 tr3 on my western digital usb book, but it will not boot from there.
    i have on my internal hdd windows xp and i don`t want to touch it, so I want mandriva nad pclinuxos on my western digital usb hdd and also boot them from there. Is this possible or maybe not?
    its possible only if your machine's BIOS supports booting up from External Device. check BIOS and if it doesn't support booting up from External Media, you have to create a /boot partition in Internal Harddisk.

GRUB is available in both Mandriva and PCLinuxOS. no need to download it and use Mandriva's Partition Manager or GParted LiveCD for partitioning.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Hi thanks for reply, sadly i didn`t told that from bios it is to set boot up first from usb, it has nothing to do with bios, it is just that non of the linux systems is booting, only I can install but not booting and I don`t no why? I can`t use linux when i cant boot it.
    I have only this one acer aspire laptop where i can use linux and windows xp.
    I don`t no why linux is not made also for to boot up on usb hdd, I have a western digital 250 mb there is lots of space for many linux systems. the only one who will boot is from ubuntu dapper drake server cd install, but not any live cd install, but ubuntu is so incomplete and many things are not working for me like pclinuxos and mandriva, also mandriva installation cd is booting up form usb, but it is only for free, but not non free, I need all the non free, so what is the difference between installation cd and live cd that it would not boot from usb? but would boot from installation cd? I need it all for multimedia and wireless internet connection and wine.
    thanks for help.
    Edit:
    I do not want it in internal hdd, I do not want to touch windows xp, for this i need it on external. In the past pclinuxos also I could boot the lilo bootloader from usb stick, but now it will also not even recognize that I have it plugged in, for to put lilo on the usb stick anstead on the usb hdd strange.
    Also I do not partician anything, I let it do all automatic, cause this way it worked best for me always, gparted is too difficult for me I do not touch it at all.
    automatic is best for me otherwise I mass it up.

Does PCLinuxOS support booting from USB drives? Does it have usb driversin its initrd?

well, if you read what I wrote then you see it should, cause I wrote it booted up from the usb stick in tr2, but not in tr3.