Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
There is no post entitled PClinuxOS so if I'm on the wrong bus please redirect. Based on recent posts listed below from http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=164627 , I decided to download from http://www.pclinuxos.com/page.php?7 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

My live CD is dead.

There is no post entitled PClinuxOS so if I'm on the wrong bus please redirect.

Based on recent posts listed below from

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=164627,

I decided to download from

http://www.pclinuxos.com/page.php?7

After that I burned to CD. Turned of my computer. Inserted the CD in CD drive. In great anticipation I turned on the computer. Viola!! Up appears Windows again. I said “ This live CD appears dead.” I opened the file I had downloaded and the “Boot” folder was empty. I don’t know much about machinery, being a newbie, but that didn’t look right. So that’s why I’m here. I thought this was going to be easy. Looks like the race horse died in the gates.

Is your BIOS configured to boot from the CD? How did you burn the CD exactly? Did you check md5sums?
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Just Joined!

My live CD is dead.

Thanks for the speedy reply, Juan, but being a newbie, I know little about the bios other than it is used to start the operating system but know nothing about setting it. A friend of mine once told me to not fool with that or my computer might not boot up. All the posts I read in order to get a little educated never mentioned this bios setup. Maybe you can direct me to it and tell me what to look for but if it's really complicated maybe we just put this off. I have Nero Express and Incd 4 to burn CDs. I don't think that my Windows has md5sums. I read that Linux includes it. I hate to sound like a sponge but how do you check it and what is it supposed to say?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just take care while configuring your BIOS, everything is reversible however, your computer will usually tell you which key to press during start-up to go to BIOS configuration.

In order to check the integrity of your images you must use a program that calculates md5sums (there are thousands for Windows) and compare theme with the ones shown in the site

To burn the file, use the burn an image option (NOT a bootable CD/image)
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Pablo View Post
    (NOT a bootable CD/image)
    Why not (a non bootable image is only used for data CDs. A NERO naming thingy?)?
    I've only uses winoncd in windows and I always picked the "burn track image"(normally used for audio CDs) option. Always worked ...
    A bootable image (ISO) is exactly what you need.
    I assume that's just some weird (and incorrect) labeling in NERO?

@jim simon
    If you open the cd in windows, do you see only one folder(map) are many files and maps.

Why not (a non bootable image is only used for data CDs. A NERO naming thingy?)?
    The bootable CD option in Nero adds parts of a Windows kernel to the CD, when you boot you will be greeted by DR DOS
    Linux User #425940

Just Joined!
    Can you give me a URL that will take me to a dependaple download site for an iso.

I would say download the ISO from wherever the distro you're interested in's homepage recommends. Then download the MD5 sum and compare it with that of the downloaded ISO. An ISO image is just that, an image of a CDROM. If you burn it to the CDROM as a file then all you will get is is a file on a data cd called <mydistro>.iso you need to burn it as an image. It has been a while since I have used Nero but I seem to remember it has a "burn image to disk" option and it will do ISO images too.

Just Joined!

why download

u can buy one... most are under $2.00 try this link.

OSDisc.com - Linux

or go to the book store in person or on line, buy a book and get a cd.

just one mans idea!

Hi, in nero just make sure you burn as a ISO it says it somewhere there in burning options, use to use it years ago when I used windows------------------------

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast