Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

pthreads : thread time vs. process time

Reading up the man pages about pthreads, I gather that up until Linux kernel version 2.6.9, the NPTL implementation of pthreads had a "bug" which I found quite useful in that times() and getrusage() would return values on a per-thread basis rather than process-wide. I was then able to know how much CPU-time had a particular thread worked. However, I understand that this was fixed in kernel 2.6.9 because it was non-conforming with the POSIX specifications. I miss this accidental feature and would like to know if there exists a method or a series of method that I could use to get that information.

I have a set of data on which I would like a bunch of threads to work for at least 2 CPU-seconds each, while I don't care about the wall time. Using process time can't work because in extreme cases, a process using 10 threads could have a single thread work for 2 seconds and all of the 10 threads would return a process-time of 2 seconds, while 9 of them didn't get a chance to work.

Did the kernel 2.6.9 fix completely remove the ability to check a thread CPU-time or did that feature get hidden in another system call of which I am unaware?

I actually had the same problem.
    I found out that the function clock_gettime returns timing per thread with more or less nanosecond precision (see clock_getres() )
    #include <time.h>
    #include <unistd.h> // for sysconf
    int err;
    struct timespec t;
    if (sysconf(_POSIX_THREAD_CPUTIME)){
      err = clock_gettime(CLOCK_THREAD_CPUTIME_ID,&t);
    To link you must use -lrt.
    It works per thread, except that the time returned is the sum of system time and user time.

So there are still unanswered questions:
    1. Is there a method to split the system and user times?
    2. Why POSIX standard doesn't allow to use getrusage per thread?
    3. Is there a way to have all getrusage measurements per thread anyway?

Attached Files Attached Files

Actually the program I attached does not show that the system time is added to user time by clock_gettime, but it is. I checked this in a program using the harddisk intensively.

4. $spacer_open

Cool Ugly hack

I managed to get the user time and system time of the thread with an ugly hack which might not be as portable as I would like it to be, but still mostly works until I find a POSIX way to do it. Here's what I've done:

The pseudo-file /proc/<PID>/task/<TID>/stat file contains a lot of info about the thread TID. Reading the file will yield 42 fields which are separated by whitespace. You can find out what each field means with "man 5 proc". utime (user time) and stime (system time) are respectively the 14th and 15th fields.

All you need to do then is parse(*) the string you get from reading /proc/<PID>/task/<TID>/stat and grab the 14th field, which represents the number of jiffies spent in user-time.

(*) While parsing the string, keep in mind that the second field (executable name) can contain whitespaces)

The operation isn't very fast, so it shouldn't be done in a tight loop, but it's more accurate than what rusage can provide me, and the processing is mostly done in system time, so it doesn't skew the results.

unsigned long GetThreadTime()
    	char procFilename[256] ;
    	char buffer[1024] ;
    	pid_t pid = ::getpid() ;
    	pid_t tid = ::gettid() ;
    	sprintf(procFilename, "/proc/%d/task/%d/stat",pid,tid) ;
    	int fd, num_read ;
    	fd = open(procFilename, O_RDONLY, 0);
    	num_read = read(fd, buffer, 1023);
    	buffer[num_read] = '\0';
    	char* ptrUsr = strrchr(buffer, ')') + 1 ;
    	for(int i = 3 ; i != 14 ; ++i) ptrUsr = strchr(ptrUsr+1, ' ') ;