Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
C++ is a great first language to start with. That is if you aren't into the hardware and alll. C is also a great language and once you know one ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

C++ is a great first language to start with. That is if you aren't into the hardware and alll. C is also a great language and once you know one it will be an easy transition to the other. I have no experience with Java or LISP so I cannot say a whole lot about those languages. Visual Basic and C# are also great startup languages if you prefer Microsoft. However if you are leaning towards business applications the way to go would be COBOL, RPG , that is if you are going towards structured programming. If you aren't I would go with SQL. The only thing bad about the COBOL programming language besides being wordy, is that one simple error causes 30 And yes it is a ***** to find your errors in COBOL. Next fall for my major I am taking RPG which is much simpler to learn than COBOL and my final semster am taking CL programming. I guess I am all about the business apps on the as/400 server, but I do prefer C++ as my first choice in programming. If any of you are into hardware related programming try assembler. Yes it is unecessary to learn for the most part , but if any of you are planning to write an operating system assembler and C would be the way to go.

Just Joined!
    So much.Java is not so popular in China as here.Maybe C++ is better,I think.And in my opinion,C# programs works as slow as java.

Linux User
    Interview with Bjarne Stroustrup

quite funny, but if its real, i dont know

Linux Engineer
    cnean,

Why would you say that C++ is better than Java? I often find myself going back to this analogy but C++ is like a car with manual transmission while Java is car that has an automatic transmission. C++ is more manual (pointers and operator overloading) while Java doesn't have these features. However, due to the limits of the language, it is more safe to program in Java. C++ is a compiled language and it maybe faster to run these programs but this will soon change because hardware technology is constantly evolving while Java technology is also making it's advances. Note here that C++ is really not all that machine compatible as it is believe to be when taking early courses in C++. Java on the other hand is totally compatible thanks to the Java interpreter the JVM. In China it might be not used but I can guarantee you that Java is used here in the states.
    The best things in life are free.

Just Joined!

languages

i do most of my coding in c++, but when i want to make little tools to make my life easier, i use python. its good, its fairly simple, and you can do just about anything with it.
    for the OOP poll? i vote pro-OOP. Definatly.

and C# is just a pain. my current project is taking this project originally written in C# and converting it into C++, becuase the creator of the project realized it would work better and be easier to use then in c#.

-jordan

Linux Guru
    I don't get this obsession that people tend to have with C++ and OOP. Really, what is so great with it?

Linux Engineer
    Dolda,

I think you have to be the smartest person on this entire forum but I never could understand why you despised OOP. I recently solved the chess puzzle (I should have done this earlier) "eight queens" using top-down approach and I must say it was annoying to pass all those parameters. However, OOP is a wrapper as you've stated on numerous occasions here in this forum. Still, I probably would prefer using OOP on a regular basis, especially when a project becomes large as they normally do.
    The best things in life are free.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2