Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am having problems porting an application from Win to Linux. It talks to an FTDI USB-serial chip. I am using the FTDI supplied 'direct D2xx' library (version 0.4.13). Installation ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

USB - FTDI D2xx drivers

I am having problems porting an application from Win to Linux. It talks to an FTDI USB-serial chip. I am using the FTDI supplied 'direct D2xx' library (version 0.4.13). Installation seems OK, as some functions seem to work OK.

However, my problem is that the function FT_GetDeviceInfoList() gives all nulls for the various information fields (eg description, serial number, manufacturer, etc). The functions FT_GetDeviceInfoDetail() and FT_ListDevices() fail similarly. The function FT_CreateDeviceInfoList() returns the correct number of devices connected (tested with 0,1 or 2 devices).

The system knows the correct information about the devices, checked by both the KDE program KInfoCenter->USBDevices, and the program 'usbview'.

Has anyone had success/problems with this, especially running 2.6 kernel (I have 2.6.18, fedora 6) and version 0.4.13 of the FTDI library?

I have tried support at FTDI but they have not responded at all!

Thanks,
    gl2008

Just Joined!
    I've got a same problem but found that it works OK if run under the root. I guess that lib is trying to access something in /dev/blahblah and permissions are not set properly. Any idea how to find what exactly it is trying to access?

Just Joined!
    Yeah, the best suggestion FTDI came up with was run as root, or try other distro's/versions. This was to be for a commercial application, and my customer got concerned about the implications of this fickleness of the drivers. Consequently it got put down the priority list, and I haven't searched for the exact cause. However, I would be most interested if anything more is found.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    After wrestling for a bit I gave up and used a workaround - I wrote small service which accesses FTDI chip and runs at system startup as root then creates a pipe (I used this as an example - 6.3.3 FIFO Operations ). User application uses the pipe to comm. to service which comm. to FTDI and back thru another pipe...

Just Joined!

USB on fedora

I don't know if there is anyone found a resolution, I have not tried this, but will hopefully get my interface up in a few days.

As far a permissions, you should try to make your own rule in /etc/udev/rules.d
    This would be for a 2.6 kernel. I wanted to access my USB devices with libusb and could not read them unless I was logged in as root. I picked a rule number and added this rule:
    ATTR{idVendor}=="0D7D", ATTR{idProduct}=="1400", MODE="0666"

The idVendor and idProduct are for my USB drive. When I ran my code I was able to read the device.