Find the answer to your Linux question:
For some odd reason, I create a .tar, and now I can't unpack it. Supposedly an argument says it's being "cowardly," whatever that means. How do I get my files ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Tar is being a coward

For some odd reason, I create a .tar, and now I can't unpack it. Supposedly an argument says it's being "cowardly," whatever that means. How do I get my files back?

Cowardly refusing to create an empty archive

Linux Guru
    Hmmm...

Google > "Cowardly refusing to create an empty archive" > Voila.

For one, the error is that you're trying to *create* an archive. Maybe try the tar manual?

Quote Originally Posted by HROAdmin26 View Post
    Hmmm...

Google > "Cowardly refusing to create an empty archive" > Voila.

For one, the error is that you're trying to *create* an archive. Maybe try the tar manual?
    No. Something else is going on. I know there are files inside of the archive. And I did look at google.

Could alternating between "tar cf ./configs.tar ./configs/*" and "tar -cf ./configs.tar ./configs/*" do anything?

Something might have happened to the scripts. All I know is that I'm basically running things off a floppy, and putting them onto the HDD. And then I'm moving them back and forth after each edit. This is how I test stuff. The tarring and untarring was working well. But, I'm guessing I didn't something, because I saw a problem come back up. And a couple of seconds later, I couldn't unpack the tar. I felt screwed.

I had one file somehow get this mysterious overload of data, as if the file it was to remove and replace was piping into the script. I didn't program that to happen, though.

Could a bad sector have caused this? I don't really trust my floppies.

Linux Guru
    *Please* read the tar manual.

If you use tar with the c switch, you are telling tar to CREATE an archive, not extract it. This is what the error is telling you.

I only used that command to create the archive.
    Now, when I use tar xf or tar -xf, nothing is extracted.
    No errors occur, but no files are extracted.
    There are files inside of it, though. I can see the file size.

I don't think it's cut and dry. I have another archived file than can extract just fine.

Linux Guru
    If the same script is creating these files, then you've answered your own question and the file is corrupt.

If different methods/switches are being used with tar c, then find another one created using the same tar c as this "bad" one and try and extract it. If it works, then this one is again corrupt. If it fails, then that tar c method is bad.

If the data is that important, search on something like "recover corrupt tar" and you'll find some things like this.