Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok, i know that java is cross platform, but I have a few quick questions, I jsut started a Java class, and we use metroworks Code Warrior on WIndows NT ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Java

Ok, i know that java is cross platform, but I have a few quick questions, I jsut started a Java class, and we use metroworks Code Warrior on WIndows NT in the classroom. I will recieve a student editon of metroworks 4.0 and i hear that it is linux compatable, but reguardless, will code written at school compile and run with little to no changes? or will i have to install this on a windows box? I know that VM is supposed to make programs work in every enviroment, but is that 100%? i would be surprised, but anyone who has delt with this i would appreciate their input.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Linux Guru
    I have written three Java programs in Linux that run near perfect on Windows. You may have problems with path names. For example, I had to change some lines from /xxx/xxx/xxx to c:/xxx/xxx/xxx, but that's only if you're using absolute file names. ../ is the same as ../ in both Linux and Windows, Java will change \ to / where it needs to.

On the other hand, I did have to 'tweak' them a little, as mentioned above. That, to me, isn't cross platform compatible.

I also have downloaded three or four programs written by real Java programers (which I am not) that work flawlessly in both.

Hope that helps!
    Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!

Re: Java

Quote Originally Posted by qub333
    Ok, i know that java is cross platform, but I have a few quick questions, I jsut started a Java class, and we use metroworks Code Warrior on WIndows NT in the classroom. I will recieve a student editon of metroworks 4.0 and i hear that it is linux compatable, but reguardless, will code written at school compile and run with little to no changes? or will i have to install this on a windows box? I know that VM is supposed to make programs work in every enviroment, but is that 100%? i would be surprised, but anyone who has delt with this i would appreciate their input.
    You should have no problem getting the code to work on both platforms. I transferred all my Java projects made in Windows over to Linux and they work fine.

CodeWarrior is a good piece of software - it's not usual in my experience for schools/colleges to deviate from the Microsoft route.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I was excited by that, but ill probably just stick to the gjava compiler, Kdevelop is all the IDE ill ever need, but ill probably just come down to vi or summin
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!

It works!!

Yes, It works!. I have been writing Java programs for the last 5 years. It works in AIX, Linux , In Sun boxes and Windows without any issues except paths. In GUI based programs if you are using Null layouts you may need to verify the sizes of the visual objects.