Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok first off I am in CompSci I at college and this is a problem with a program I am doing. I have a struct with 2 strings, 3 floats, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

struct problems

Ok first off I am in CompSci I at college and this is a problem with a program I am doing.

I have a struct with 2 strings, 3 floats, and 3 int arrays. Plus I have a bunch of structs in one array.
    Anyhow I am trying to sort the array of structs into order based on one of the floats. I know the process what I am having problem with is I am getting 2 errors I don't know how to fix. I am unfamiliar with structs so it may be just that.

#1: In my int main() I am trying to call a funtion using my main array and I am getting this error:Error 406: "FinalLab.cc", line 108 # Argument type 'StudentInfo *' does not match expected parameter type 'student *'; '
    struct StudentInfo' is not an unambiguously derived class of 'tentative struct student'.
    SortByTestAverage(student, studentNumber);
    I am using "void SortByTestAverage(struct student[], int& studentNumber);"

#2: In my funtion that swaps the info between two indexes in my array I am getting this: Error 24: "FinalLab.cc", line 121 # '<identifier>' expected instead of 'student'.
    nameTemp=student[cs].first;
    This confuses the hell out of me and I am using a similar viod to #1

oh I found another the "cs" up there in 2 is a global variable that is getting: Error 249: "FinalLab.cc", line 122 # Subscript operator must have pointer to object and integral operands; 'int[int]' was found.

any help with my homework would be wonderfull hehe.

Linux Guru
    Your code looks very strange. Post the entire program (or, even better, a link to it if possible) so that we can actually see what's wrong.

Re: struct problems

Quote Originally Posted by Speranza
    Error 406: "FinalLab.cc", line 108 # Argument type 'StudentInfo *' does not match expected parameter type 'student *'; '
    struct StudentInfo' is not an unambiguously derived class of 'tentative struct student'.
    SortByTestAverage(student, studentNumber);
    I am using "void SortByTestAverage(struct student[], int& studentNumber);"
    I'm guessing you're supposed to actually specify which structure student[] should be, e.g. "struct StudentInfo student[]"... I could be wrong though. There's not much you're giving to work with...

Quote Originally Posted by Speranza
    #2: In my funtion that swaps the info between two indexes in my array I am getting this: Error 24: "FinalLab.cc", line 121 # '<identifier>' expected instead of 'student'.
    nameTemp=student[cs].first;
    Compiler errors tend to pile up, so if the error as I interpreted is correct, fixing the first problem in both functions should make the bad text go away

Quote Originally Posted by Dolda2000
    Post the entire program (or, even better, a link to it if possible) so that we can actually see what's wrong.
    That would be a very good idea, yes.

Just Joined!
    I will see what I can do about posting a copy of the program. I am out of town for the weekend so see you all monday

Just Joined!
    http://www.angelfire.com/tn2/victorsperanza/C__.txt

That is my program in total. Sorry about the angelfireness but being poor means no good webspace for me.

Linux Guru
    I think I see the problem. It seems to be because the file is named FinalLab.cc. The .cc extension indicates to a compiler that it should be written in "objective C", which is not the same as C++. When I renamed the file to FinalLab.cpp, it compiled perfectly and I could run it.

Just Joined!
    Hmm odd it didn't fix a thing for my. Well I am moving the program to a different computer (Mine with mandrake) later to try it cause there is the possibility that it is the compiler on the computer I am using(Schools ancient computer that is very large in size and I am sure has tape wheels).

See my new post in linux workstation -> application to watch my slow progress of getting my linux box working

Just Joined!
    no make that installation forum hehe

Linux Guru
    Tape wheels... lol! Well, the error messages looked like no compiler that I recognized.
    Just remember to rename the file to FinalLab.cpp instead of FinalLab.cc