Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just have a couple questions on how to accomplish what I'm trying to do, both in Bash and in Perl. I would like to know how to specify the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Questions about Bash/Perl signals/process names

I just have a couple questions on how to accomplish what I'm trying to do, both in Bash and in Perl.

1. I would like to know how to specify the process name (that would be used by killall) of the script.
    2. I would like to know what command I could put in the script to effectively "pause" it, and also what signal I would need to pass to the script to have it "resume" from the pausing command.

I'm trying to accomplish both things with Bash and both things with Perl.

Just Joined!
    well i dont know much about perl, but for for killall its pretty simple just killall <mane of process>
    for instance say im running a program called foo.bar i would say killall foo.bar
    if i wanted to send a certain signal (say SIGINT) i would use killall -s INT foo.bar

killall can also kill a bunch of processes, so say i have foo.bar foo.this foo.that. and foo.theotherthing i can say kill foo, and kill all those foos.

to stop one simply send it SIGSTOP and resume is SIGCONT

hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by the_ultimate_samurai View Post
    killall can also kill a bunch of processes, so say i have foo.bar foo.this foo.that. and foo.theotherthing i can say kill foo, and kill all those foos.

to stop one simply send it SIGSTOP and resume is SIGCONT
    Okay, but is there a way to specify what process name a script will use when it is run? Also, is there a way for the script to SIGSTOP itself?

Just Joined!
    the name of the process is the name of the application you ran.

so suppose i compile a program foo.cpp into an executable foo.bar, i run foo.bar, now if i killall foo.bar..that executable is killed.

if you made test.sh and ran it, you can kill it with killall test.sh
    and yes, it can stop itself (though...you coulda just made a shell like i did in a couple seconds and tested that yourself.)

Quote Originally Posted by the_ultimate_samurai View Post
    the name of the process is the name of the application you ran.

so suppose i compile a program foo.cpp into an executable foo.bar, i run foo.bar, now if i killall foo.bar..that executable is killed.

if you made test.sh and ran it, you can kill it with killall test.sh
    and yes, it can stop itself (though...you coulda just made a shell like i did in a couple seconds and tested that yourself.)
    Ah, I get it; thanks! So, I just name the script whatever I want to be used by killall, and then for script test.sh, I would add a line in it like "killall -s SIGSTOP test.sh", and then I can resume it from another script by "killall -s SIGCONT test.sh". I think I understand this now. Thanks!