Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm trying to find some information or a tutorial on "objcopy". I tried googling and searching this site but all I can find are the man pages. Is there ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

objcopy

Hi,

I'm trying to find some information or a tutorial on "objcopy". I tried googling and searching this site
    but all I can find are the man pages. Is there a good and simple tutorial for bin utility objcopy?...Gerard4143
    Make mine Arch Linux

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I think its primary use is to migrate object code from one platform, such as x86, to another, such as ARM. As noted in the man page, it does not support "endian-ness", so if you are trying to use it to translate x86 code (Little Endian) to Motorola 68K (Big Endian), you are probably SOL.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    I think its primary use is to migrate object code from one platform, such as x86, to another, such as ARM. As noted in the man page, it does not support "endian-ness", so if you are trying to use it to translate x86 code (Little Endian) to Motorola 68K (Big Endian), you are probably SOL.
    Yeah, I read the man pages and through some experimentation found out how to work some of the switches but it would be nice to find a tutorial. I guess I'll keep looking and experimenting ...Gerard4143...Thanks for the reply
    Make mine Arch Linux

Well, one thing is for certain, it is not an application for anyone but "experts" who are porting software to a new hardware platform, and they don't have the source code to compile. If you don't have that requirement, then I suggest that you spend your time on more useful projects. Linux has a lot of stuff to explore that will serve you better in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Well, one thing is for certain, it is not an application for anyone but "experts" who are porting software to a new hardware platform, and they don't have the source code to compile. If you don't have that requirement, then I suggest that you spend your time on more useful projects. Linux has a lot of stuff to explore that will serve you better in the long run.
    Your probably right but my interest has driven me here so I'll keep on it...Gerard4143
    Make mine Arch Linux

Know what you mean. I find myself wandering down interesting technological back roads for much the same reason!