Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi folks, What will be the easy way to decrypt encrypted passwords on MySQL table. Googling brought me many suggestions on crypt/decrypt running scripts. Please advise. TIA B.R. satimis...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

An easy way to decrypt encrypted password

Hi folks,

What will be the easy way to decrypt encrypted passwords on MySQL table. Googling brought me many suggestions on crypt/decrypt running scripts. Please advise. TIA

B.R.
    satimis

I think it depends on what algorithm was used to encrypt the password.

Men occasionally stumble over the truth,
    but most of them pick themselves up
    and hurry off as if nothing had happened.

Winston Churchill

... then the Unix-Gods created "man" ...

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by dxqcanada View Post
    I think it depends on what algorithm was used to encrypt the password.
    Hi dxqcanada,

I have no idea. I think the encrypt function of MySQL uses the Unix crypt command to encrypt.

B.R.
    satimis

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    The standard crypt function uses standard 56-bit DES encryption, using a salt value (2 characters) to randomize the resulting key. To verify a plain-text password, you take the first 2 chracters from the encrypted version as the salt value, and pass that and the plaintext password to the crypt() function. If the resulting encrypted value is the same as the stored value, then the password is valid. Unix, and I presume Linux, systems use a variety of input data, including the date/time to create the salt value used to create the original encrypted password stored in /etc/shadow. That is why a user can reset their password using the same string, and it will likely never create the same encrypted value.

That said, the only reasonable ways to "crack" Unix/Linux passwords is via a dictionary attack using the salt value stored in /etc/shadow, or using social engineering to get the user to reveal the password.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!