Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi , everyone. i want to get the block numbers of a file. Could you tell me which function can i use? thanx!...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

How to get the block numbers of a file ?

hi , everyone.

i want to get the block numbers of a file. Could you tell me which function can i use?

thanx!

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by block number, are you referring to the inode number?

Exclamation

block numbers are stored in file's inode. They represent the location where the files contents are stored.
    I would suggest downloading e2fsprogs and spending some time "debugfs" command will help you a lot -e2fsprogs has library that allows all activities with FS. If you want access blocks in "unprofessional messy way" you can check my tool giis source codes
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakshmipathi View Post
    If you want access blocks in "unprofessional messy way" you can check my tool giis source codes
    thanks!

what's mean by unprefessional messy way?

giis code doesn't use standard libraries to access FS. Whereas almost all other tools use e2fsprogs library.
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org