Find the answer to your Linux question:
How can i execute export PS1="\[[3[01;32m\]\u@\h\[3[01;34m\] \W]\]#" from a .sh script or .c file and make it work? Thanks...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How can i execute export

How can i execute export PS1="\[[\033[01;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[01;34m\] \W]\]#" from a .sh script or .c file and make it work?

Thanks

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Environment variables are context sensitive. Ie, they only work in the current environment, and for application started from the current environment. If you set an environment variable in a shell script, it will not be visible to the system after the script terminates. To get around, you can "source" the script with either the "source" or "." command. IE:
    Code:
    source script.sh

or

. script.sh
    BTW, you cannot do this with a compiled program. Once the program terminates, the variable is lost, or reverts to its previous setting.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!

Thumbs up

Thanks very much..

Just Joined!
    Another question please, is there any way to do like printf("\r\r \033[22;32m*** You are now logged in. ***\n");
    source("/root/.,a"); in a .c file

/dev/shm/my/session.c:1467: undefined reference to `source'
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    make: *** [linux] Error 1

Thanks again and again.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Some actions, such as setting the prompt in a terminal, can be set from a C program. The proper escape sequences need to be sent to the tty directly. I'm not sure that just printing them to stdout will work. You might have to open /dev/ttyx or /dev/pts/N where N is the controlling tty of the session. I haven't done this in many years, so my memory on how to do it is sketchy at best - the last time was on a Unix system about 15 years ago...

Just Joined!

Unhappy

i want to execute a .sh file from a .c file this is the problem huh ..

Quote Originally Posted by blackps View Post
    i want to execute a .sh file from a .c file this is the problem huh ..
    You can, but once the shell script terminates, the environment changes are lost, and any environment changes made within your C program are likewise lost when the program terminates. There are "hacky" ways to get around this, but nothing nice and simple or reliable.